    Is there a web site where I can look up the number of pages a laser printer
    cartridge will print? Didn't see one on Google. I want to compare longterm
    costs before buying printers. Thanks.

    Invalid, Aug 27, 2007

  2. Invalid

    Dan C Guest

    Look again. Google's got it.

    Dan C, Aug 27, 2007

  3. Invalid

    Pennywise Guest

    PANASONIC KX-4400 toner cartridge did at least one case of paper; 5000
    sheets, mostly single sided.

    I know this because I used the box to store the output :)

    Pennywise, Aug 27, 2007
  4. My faithful NEC Model 95, now 17 years old, gets 6,000 or better to a
    cartridge.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 27, 2007
  5. Invalid

    Alfred Guest

    But how many would you get if they were all of Stevie Wonder
    performing in a coal mine?

    Alfred, Aug 27, 2007
  6. You have a point.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 27, 2007
  7. Invalid

    *alan* Guest

    What a marvelously tantalizing reply. Has it occurred to you that perhaps
    the OP had already consulted google and, due to not having been lucky enough
    to have phrased his query just so, may not have found the result that you
    allude to?
    I realize it can be satisfying to play the "I know something you don't know"
    game (although I can't remember playing it much beyond the 2nd grade), but
    if you'd at least revealed your search phrasing, then not only would we be
    able to find that site, but we might also learn something about how to
    effectively phrase google searches. Just a thought . . . .

    *alan*, Aug 28, 2007
  8. Invalid

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Yup! I wonder who in their right mind thought that printer companies should
    compare their cost per page based on 5% coverage? If I only need to cover 5%
    of a page with toner, I'd rather grab a Post-It and scribble on that.

    But that's what the OP needs to look for - almost every printer I've looked
    at recently has a cost per page or pages per cartridge (divide the price by
    that). It's not rocket science ;)

    WhzzKdd, Aug 28, 2007
  9. Invalid

    Invalid Guest

    I was hoping to find one site with a bunch of printers that have the number
    of pages listed.

    Invalid, Aug 28, 2007
  10. Invalid

    thanatoid Guest

    I very much doubt there is such as site, as there are many
    manuf's and models, although anything is possible, so Google (I
    will too, it's a slow night).

    You are right to be concerned - when laser printers were
    expensive, a cartridge was usually rated for 5,000 pages @ 5%
    coverage (you might find out that is actually pretty close to an
    all-text page with maybe a small graphic, and at least it IS a
    standard which all manuf's use.)

    These days, 3 things are happening:

    1) Laser printers have come down dramatically in price.

    2) Replacement cartridges are usually rated at 2, 2.5, or - if
    you're LUCKY - 3,000 pages.

    3) MANY printers you buy come with a "starter" cartridge which
    will ONLY LAST 500 or maybe 1K pages. I kid you not.

    And needless to say, cartridges cost almost as much as they used
    to. They do have finer ink etc, but even 300 dpi was quite
    adequate for most people. The laser advantage was always speed
    and output quality - within reason. If you want to print
    something REALLY serious, you still have to go to an Office
    Depot or a service bureau.

    Now for something else that *I* found RATHER interesting, being
    generally hostile and suspicious of absolutely everything.

    When my first laser cartridge died (after 8 years - I hardly
    ever print, I AM largely paperless) I opened it up for fun (I
    like to tinker) since I was offered 2 dollars for it at a
    recycling place and I live in a country which does not
    participate in the cartridge recycling program.

    Or, as I now like to call it, one of the biggest scams around.
    Why?
    Because after opening it up I found a CONSIDERABLE amount of
    toner still in it, which would not "get to the rollers" no
    matter how many times I shook the cartridge to get "the last
    drop out". And I did, for about half a year (like I said, I
    print VERY little).

    There was SO much toner left in the cartridge that roughly
    estimating its size, capacity, weight of toner etc I would guess
    about 5 "dead" cartridges would have enough toner still in them
    to fill an entire new cartridge.

    I now have NO DOUBT whatsoever that the main reason for the
    "cartridge recycling programs" is not care for the environment,
    but rather the fact that most of the cartridge, having lived
    without human hands touching it, can be reused, with the
    exception of the main drum (one would HOPE) and maybe a few
    minor moving parts or parts which have to be destroyed to open
    the thing.

    And more importantly, all the toner is emptied (they must have
    special machines to do it since it is "sticky") and is re-used
    in "new" cartridges. The toner is fine - it doesn't rot with age
    or anything, and most cartridges DO say "may contain used or
    remanufactured parts" (or something). So the "used" toner is not
    a problem for me, the hypocrisy and selling stuff you get for
    nothing for a LOT of money ARE.

    It is plain as day to me that the fact that "when they get 5
    back, they have enough for a whole 'new' cartridge" is the
    reason for the whole operation.

    Perhaps the "dead" toner is used/sold to others for less
    critical uses, such as in photocopying machines, which could be
    considered "less offensive", but I doubt it.

    Comments?

    thanatoid, Aug 28, 2007
  11. Invalid

    Invalid Guest

    Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

    I don't see how PC Magazine (which reports test results of hundreds of
    printers a year) can fail to include something about toner costs which
    will cost a buyer many times more than the cost of the printer. I can buy
    a laser printer for less that the cost of one toner cartridge. What the
    world needs (lets save the world!), is a total cost comparison, including
    both machine and toner, of expected volume levels.

    The 3 refills and compatible toner I've bought have been a disappointment
    no matter how they advertise it.

    My keyboard is misbehaving so I need to sign off>

    Invalid, Aug 28, 2007
  12. Invalid

    thanatoid Guest

    I forgot I was gonna Google to see if I could find the info for
    you, but I will tomorrow maybe. Sorry. But I think you have a
    good idea of the situation. At least it's not the ripoff that
    color inkjets are. MAN what a trap THAT is.

    Depending on how much of a hurry you're in and how much faith
    you have in consumer publications, you COULD write to PC Mag and
    ask them for the info you need. It would actually make an
    excellent article - although it would be out of date very
    quickly, but I guess everybody is used to that by now. Not to
    mention that they would probably leave out the couple of models
    you are interested in most.

    Re: kbd. Unless you have some very specific needs, just buy 2
    very basic $5 keyboards as backup - since they cost almost
    nothing to make, and there is NO quality control any more, they
    go bad all the time, assuming they're not DOA to begin with.

    thanatoid, Aug 28, 2007
  13. Invalid

    thanatoid Guest

    I looked and I couldn't find what you need. Some sites which
    have some interesting info and MIGHT contain some capacity etc.
    info are:

    http://www.1st-in-discount-toner.com/
    http://www.bulktonersource.com/abouttoner.htm
    http://www.123inkjets.com/toner.html (DOES have laser carts)
    http://www.flamingoworld.com/buying-guide/Printers
    http://www.ishopdaily.com/compare/Computers-Software--Printers--
    Laser-Printers/

    I think what you have to do is just go to a store (walk or type)
    with good prices and selection, and read all the labels and info
    carefully and make notes, go home, and decide. If it makes you
    feel any better, you will get screwed by the laser printer
    manufacturer anyway, just like all the consumers who are simply
    victims of the pursuit of profits. Don't even get me started on
    outsourcing.

    thanatoid, Aug 28, 2007
  14. Invalid

    Plato Guest

    It all depends on how much ink will be used. There is no standard
    webpage that will figure that out for you.

    Plato, Aug 28, 2007
  15. Invalid

    pjdd Guest

    Not what the OP wants, but regarding the matter of the oft-cited
    5% coverage, I used to wonder how valid that is in relation to
    real-life usage, so I thought up a way to test it.

    I displayed some text in MS Word and saved a screenshot, loaded
    the image in a graphics program and let it count the pixels. The
    ratio of black to total area is actually quite close to 5%.

    That's a simplified description of the test. There are several
    factors that could affect its accuracy - margins, font, font
    size, display magnification (since vector fonts are displayed in
    bitmap), paragraphs, incomplete lines, etc. I tried to account
    for all those factors besides doing a simple pixel count. After
    doing several tests, I got results from about 4.8% to slightly
    over 5% for a full text page in regular (not bold) Times New
    Roman, some paras and typical margins.

    pjdd, Aug 28, 2007
  16. Invalid

    *alan* Guest

    [...]

    Interesting. Going even further afield (I think it's pretty clear that
    we're all pretty much getting screwed no matter what printers or cartridges
    we use) --- what graphics program do you have that does a pixel count?
    Thanks,

    *alan*, Aug 29, 2007
  17. Invalid

    pjdd Guest

    Photoshop can do it for B&W images by displaying the histogram.
    When the cursor is moved over the graph, the pixel count for
    each greyscale shade is shown as a number below.

    Amiga painting programs can display a bar graph with numbers
    showing the pixel count for each individual color in the pallete.
    I found this feature very useful when I was still using an Amiga
    as my main computer. I don't know if there are any Windoze progs
    that can do this.

    pjdd, Aug 29, 2007