    the same EIDE channel? If they both share the same channel, then I
    understand the question, but it is worded differently than what I
    studied in the Mike Meyers book.

    JesseTX, Oct 24, 2003

  2. JesseTX

    David Hough Guest

    Relax Jesse, you are not studying for the bar. Almost all PCs come with
    two IDE channels, a primary and a secondary. Each channel can have
    two drives, a master and a slave. Now do the math, 2 plus 2 equals 4.

    David Hough, Oct 24, 2003

  3. JesseTX

    JesseTX Guest

    Thanks David. I realized 2 + 2 = 4 :) Again, what threw me off track
    was the question I ran into that asked, "How many devices can function
    on a single EIDE channel?" With the answer being given as 4. If
    there are two EIDE channels per computer, and a single EIDE channel
    can support 4 EIDE drives, then that means a PC could have 8 hard
    drives, 4 + 4 = 8 :)

    I don't believe that, and think it is just a poorly worded question,
    one of many I have found in the Total Recall sutdy material.

    JesseTX, Oct 24, 2003
  4. JesseTX

    Dan Dawson Guest

    For the question that you stated, the answer must be 2!
    Dan.

    Dan Dawson, Oct 24, 2003
  5. JesseTX

    jestxm Guest

    I concur, and I picked 2. But the guide says the right answer is
    four. I think the key to the answer is the term "EIDE channel". I
    wasn't familiar with that term, and assumed "channel" meant
    "controller".

    jestxm, Oct 24, 2003
  6. JesseTX

    JesseTX Guest

    Here is another question about "IDE channels" that I ran into:

    "Which of the following hard drive specifications are held in CMOS?

    A. Bay Location
    B. Access Speed
    C. Size (heads, sectors, cylinders)
    D. IDE Channel (master, slave)
    E. File system format."

    The correct answer being listed as C & D.

    I don't dispute the answer. However, we see evidence here that they
    are using the term "IDE Channel" interchangebly with "controller."
    So, in their previous question they indicated that each "channel"
    could control 4 hard drives. Here they seem to imply that "master" &
    "slave" are separate channels. So if each "channel" can control 4
    drives, then it would then equate to a PC can have 8 hard drives.
    Again, I know this is wrong, just pointing out the fallacy.

    JesseTX, Oct 24, 2003