    brochures and standard instruction manuals, for example).

    Can anyone offer any solution or insight?

    Dave

    davehigton14, Aug 19, 2013

  2. Gather a packet trace?

    Roger Bell_West, Aug 19, 2013

  3. davehigton14

    Roger Guest

    Try the ip address instead of the url. if that works try a different dns
    server in the polycom settings - some of my gear on the network wont
    resolve domain names unless I use the router as a dsn server e.g. if I
    configure the item with google's dns server address it wont resolve names.

    Roger, Aug 19, 2013
  4. davehigton14

    Woody Guest

    Agreed. I use Atomic Clock Sync to set my PC clock. It uses
    128.138.140.44. Worth a try?

    Woody, Aug 19, 2013
  5. davehigton14

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <kutupp$r3$>
    I tried 128.138.140.44 and one of the resolved addresses of
    uk.pool.ntp.org. I also reduced the resync time to 60 s, the minimum
    setting. No success.

    I'm going to try a packet trace, but I need to add a hub so the
    Wireshark computer can see the packets between the IP331 and the
    rest of the LAN. Tomorrow, all being well.

    Dave

    Dave Higton, Aug 19, 2013
  6. davehigton14

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <>
    It was configured to 128.138.140.44 but no packets went to or from
    that address. When I power cycled it, something bizarre happened:
    there were two DNS requests, one for "_ntp._udp.clock" and one for
    "clock". Not surprisingly, neither was resolved.

    I changed the configuration to "pool.ntp.org", which is one of the
    choices from the standard list. Saving the choices did not result
    in any DNS requests. Power cycling it a second time produced the
    same two DNS requests again.

    At no time was there any NTP or SNTP traffic.

    It appears to be completely ignoring its NTP configuration setting.

    Dave

    Dave Higton, Aug 20, 2013
  7. davehigton14

    ßodincus Guest

    The _ntp._udp.X requests are for SRV records. Odd.

    FW version bug? Check on
    http://support.polycom.com/PolycomS...voice/soundpoint_ip/soundpoint_ip321_331.html
    for the latest version.

    Try resetting it to factory settings.

    If the phone is getting the IP from a DHCP server, ensure it's not the
    DHCP server to override the NTP server with some options.
    Easy to check: give it a static address.

    Let us know how it goes.

    ßodincus, Aug 20, 2013
  8. davehigton14

    davehigton14 Guest

    It has a static IP address, as do all the entities on my cabled
    LAN.

    When I get it to check for new firmware, the version offered by
    Polycom's site has a lower version number (4.0.1.xxxx) than that
    on the phone (4.0.3.xxxx). I think I'm going to up/down/sidegrade
    it tonight.

    Dave

    (My apologies if the formatting/quoting aren't right. This is
    posted from Google Groups, which makes a right mess of quoting,
    including double spacing everything. I've attempted a manual
    clean-up, but it may not be completely right.)

    davehigton14, Aug 21, 2013
  9. davehigton14

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <kv2qop$41a$>
    Well, I got the clock working. Not by the route I expected...

    I downgraded the firmware to 4.0.1.(whatever) and noticed that the
    clock was showing 6 hours slow but the right date, so something
    had changed. I saw in the log that the GMT offset was -21600
    seconds, which certainly didn't fit the time zone setting.

    I exported the configuration and examined the file. You'd think
    it was impossible for a simple (-ish) thing like a VoIP phone to
    have so many configuration lines in the file. And then I saw
    some really good ones: there is an explicit GMT offset that is
    not connected to the time zone. I set that to 0, uploaded the
    configuration to the phone, and now the time was correct but
    still flashing.

    Then I saw that there are two NTP server configuration lines.
    One was correctly set from the web settings, the other was just
    "clock". Making that the "uk.pool.ntp.org" rewarded me with
    a correct, non-flashing, time and date.

    It looks like some of their programmers have a gift for over-
    complicating things.

    Dave

    Dave Higton, Aug 21, 2013
  10. davehigton14

    ßodincus Guest

    Now I remember why I don't use Polycoms.
    And I don't like to configure phones via their web interface but prefer
    the automated provisioning.
    Given it's implemented correctly, it usually gives you a finer
    granularity and works every time.
    snom (and recently Yealink) have been a breeze to work with.

    ßodincus, Aug 22, 2013
  11. *cringe* uk.pool.ntp.org is a hostname, not a url.

    Having that out of the way: the ntp pool constantly checks all its ntp
    servers for accuracy and only returns working and accurate IP addresses for
    pool.ntp.org names. So using the name is preferred strongly over using a
    fixed IP.

    Unless you know the fixed IP is of a very reliable and robust ntp server
    and you keep an eye for news of the maintainer of that ntp server.

    Koos

    Koos van den Hout, Aug 25, 2013
  12. davehigton14

    Roger Guest

    If you had read the post properly you would have seen that the
    suggestion of using the ip address was ONLY to test if the DNS server on
    the phone was working correctly and then move on. Why bother not reading
    the original posts correctly and then posting after the problem has been
    solved?

    Roger, Aug 25, 2013