ntoskrnl.exe and double XP64 start up option

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Richard, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Hello All!

    I have re-jigged this box to triple boot with Win2k, XPPro32 and XP
    Pro64. I had it all installed and then on a restart having selected the
    64bit OS was presented with "could not start XP64 needs <windows
    root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe re-install a copy of this file". As I
    could not work out how to get this file and where the heck to put it, I
    opted to reformat the 64OS partition and re-install XP64.

    Well everything is just fine now but when starting the computer I now
    have the original entry as well as the new XP64 start option. How do I
    remove the earlier one, which incidentally if this is selected still
    gives me the same install the......error. I had rather expected to have
    zapped that!

    All help much appreciated!

    Cheers

    Richard, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Richard

    John Barnes Guest

    Go to system properties/advanced/startup and edit the file. Delete the
    entry you don't want. The new one should be on top if you haven't made any
    changes.

    John Barnes, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Thu, 9 Feb 2006, John Barnes writes
    Dear John

    Many thanks for the pearls of knowledge! Am I correct in thinking I
    delete it in Notebook please?

    Thanks

    Richard

    Richard, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Richard

    John Barnes Guest

    Notepad, yes

    John Barnes, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Richard

    Rich Lehman Guest

    I think that is handled thru msconfig, look for boot.ini tab and there
    should be data on your boots. Remove the unused one

    Rich Lehman, Feb 10, 2006
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Rich Lehman writes
    Thanks Rich

    Now solved as John advised.

    Many thanks

    Richard, Feb 10, 2006