    to fix the problem. I have restarted 8 or so times and I keep getting
    an error about NTLDR. I have googled and come up empty. Any good ideas
    are welcome.

    Kandy, Feb 16, 2009

  2. Kandy

    Evan Platt Guest

    What did you do with the flash drive to try and fix the problem?
    Likely rebooting won't do anything.

    Googling ntldr missing gave quite a few good suggestions, but based on
    the lack of information you gave, a reinstall may be the only
    solution.

    But take a look at http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm .

    Evan Platt, Feb 16, 2009

  3. Kandy

    Kandy Guest

    Thanks, that seems to be better than what I found in other places. I
    will check the cables etc and try again. I am running xp pro and use
    sata disks.

    Kandy, Feb 16, 2009
  4. Kandy

    chuckcar Guest

    And the *exact* error message is? paraphrasing won't help us. Not meant as
    a dig, but the *exact* wording/spelling/punctuation in these things is
    crucial.

    chuckcar, Feb 17, 2009
  5. Kandy

    Kandy Guest

    NTLDR missing is the message, that is all.

    Kandy, Feb 17, 2009
  6. Unless you've been messing around with BIOS boot orders, your partitions
    and/or your Boot.ini file/s - it's most likely a dying HDD with bad boot
    sectors.
    Run PowerMax (Maxtor's HDD utility) from floppy - it was always one of the
    better utilities.
    If the HDD's hosed, you should still be able to see the file structure by
    hooking it up as a non-boot (obviously) drive - and recover your files as
    nec.

    Centre Parting, Feb 17, 2009
  7. Kandy

    Evan Platt Guest

    Please ignore chucktard, he's a incompetent fool.

    Evan Platt, Feb 17, 2009
  8. Kandy

    Mike Easter Guest

    If I google, it turns up a ton of stuff.

    Here's a good page http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm How to
    fix: NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart

    Mike Easter, Feb 17, 2009
  9. Kandy

    VanguardLH Guest

    Did you leave a diskette in the floppy drive?

    VanguardLH, Feb 17, 2009
  10. Kandy

    Pennywise Guest

    you should of just ignored Chucktard. If he had to ask that question
    he proved he had no clue of your problem.

    I haven't read the rest of the replies but that message almost always
    because of a corrupt or missing Boot.ini file.

    In addition to other links given, entering the Recovery Console and
    typing in FIXBOOT will fix your problem.

    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6031733.html

    Pennywise, Feb 17, 2009
  11. Kandy

    Dan C Guest

    Yer fukd.

    Format your hard drive and reinstall.

    Dan C, Feb 17, 2009
  12. Kandy

    Kandy Guest

    No floppy drive there but I think I know what happened.
    I will try to explain as simply as I can. The computer was used. It
    has 2 hds. one 150 gig the other 600 gig. It came with an os, xp pro
    installed on the smaller hd. The larger one I figured I would put my
    own xp pro on it. I did that and for some reason I wanted to get rid
    of the xp on the smaller one. I guess too many things were deleted
    from it.
    I am going to remove the hds and jumper the large one as master and
    visa versa. for the smaller one.
    Then I think all will work again.
    Any ideas.

    Kandy, Feb 17, 2009
  13. Kandy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Depending on the mobo's BIOS, you may be able to control which hdd the
    bios looks to (first) to (try to) boot from.

    Depending on the hdd/s cabling and configuration, the hdd/s may be
    configured either master/slave or cable select if they are IDE.

    Are these hdd/s both IDE or is that big one a SATA?

    Mike Easter, Feb 17, 2009
  14. Kandy

    Pennywise Guest

    If you run Fixboot it will before or after you change your drives.

    Pennywise, Feb 17, 2009
  15. Kandy

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Gosh that would have saved an awful lot of guesswork on our part if you
    had mentioned all that to start with rather than the obscure comment
    about using a flash drive......

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 17, 2009
  16. Kandy

    Kandy Guest

    Good, but I had not thought about when I first posted my query. I
    later realized what may have happened.

    Kandy, Feb 17, 2009
  17. Kandy

    elaich Guest

    NTLDR MUST be on the first physical hard drive. When you wiped it, you
    wiped what your machine needs to boot up.

    Been there, done that. You can download NTLDR from the Internet, and you
    will have to write a specific boot.ini file. There is also a file
    NTDETECT.COM that must reside there. Many sites exist that tell you how to
    do this.

    These 3 files must be in C:/.

    elaich, Feb 17, 2009
  18. Kandy

    Pennywise Guest

    You can download those files here http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Pennywise, Feb 17, 2009
  19. Kandy

    John Holmes Guest

    Kandy "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    Please ignore Evan Platt, he's a incompetent fool and a well known drug
    addict and heavy alcohol abuser in the group.

    John Holmes, Feb 17, 2009
  20. Kandy

    John Holmes Guest

    "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    I don't think "Kandy" knows how to run Fixboot.
    ;-)

    John Holmes, Feb 17, 2009