    cd'(or whatever it says!), then boots to Windows, so all is good as long
    as I keep the XP disc in the machine. Any suggestions??

    George

    George A Hamilton, Apr 15, 2005

  2. This may sound stupid, but have you a disk in your floppy drive?

    Martin Harran, Apr 15, 2005

  3. George A Hamilton

    philo Guest

    first off, i assume you don't have a floppy in the drive...
    and i assume the bios correctly recognizes your drive.
    run fdisk from a win9x floppy and confirm that your primary partition
    is set active

    philo, Apr 15, 2005
  4. George A Hamilton

    Tina Guest

    So, how does the BIOS know you have windows? Does this say the same
    message when you have a floppy disk in the drive when booting to Linux??

    Tina, Apr 15, 2005
  5. George A Hamilton

    Tina, Apr 15, 2005
  6. George A Hamilton

    Tina Guest

    You receive an "NTLDR is missing" error message when you start your
    computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320397

    Tina, Apr 15, 2005
  7. George A Hamilton

    doS Guest

    Wow, you have reached JANA status....

    doS, Apr 15, 2005
  8. George A Hamilton

    philo Guest

    if the boot order is set to seek the floppy first
    you will get that "NTLDR missing " message if a floppy is in the
    drive formatted from any NT/XP machine

    philo, Apr 15, 2005
  9. George A Hamilton

    elaich Guest

    Because it reads boot.ini which tells it to look for NTLDR.

    To the OP: did you try to edit boot.ini? I ran into this problem when I
    tried to do so.

    The way I fixed it: boot from the XP CD as if you're going to reinstall XP
    - then choose to repair the installation. This will reinstate NTLDR and
    rewrite boot.ini.

    elaich, Apr 15, 2005
  10. George A Hamilton

    Tina Guest

    LOL, maybe there is a message like "Invalid System Disk".

    Tina, Apr 15, 2005
  11. George A Hamilton

    philo Guest

    you will get the "invalid system disk" messahe if the floppy was
    formatted on a win9x, win3x or dos machine...
    but any floppy formatted on an NT based machine will give you
    the "ntldr missing" message
    (or course assuming ntldr is not on the floppy)

    with a dos based machine, the "sys" command must be used to make a
    floppy bootable...
    but with an NT based machine...the formatting scheme is a bit
    different...and the bootsector is part of the formattting process...

    so to make a boot floppy from an NT based machine
    all you have to do is format it...
    then copy : ntldr ntdetect.com & boot.ini to the floppy...
    no "sys" command is needed

    philo, Apr 15, 2005
  12. George A Hamilton

    Tina Guest

    Why you telling me this? You think I do not know?

    Tina, Apr 15, 2005
  13. George A Hamilton

    Pennywise Guest

    |>> So, how does the BIOS know you have windows?
    |>
    |>Because it reads boot.ini which tells it to look for NTLDR.

    The HD boot block loads NTLDR, which then reads and runs BOOT.INI

    The OP was on the right track with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR.

    Pennywise, Apr 15, 2005
  14. George A Hamilton

    PJB Guest

    check the bios, and make sure the drive with XP on is your first boot
    device.

    P.

    PJB, Apr 15, 2005
  15. George A Hamilton

    philo Guest

    actually it was not meant for you...
    but the troll who had posted...
    but i did not want to respond directly...
    i did not feel like a big argument
    (i usually only like to argue no more than 364 days a year)

    philo, Apr 15, 2005
  16. Hi, thanks for the great response to my problem. It's still not resolved
    though.

    Can I just clear a few things up. I don't have, and never have never had
    Linux on this PC. There is no floppy drive, and the boot order is
    CDROM-HDD. When I have the XP CD in the machine it lets me boot, I just
    need to let the 'press any key.....' message pass. If the cd isn't in, I
    get the NTLDR missing error. The partition is active, and I have checked
    the boot.ini, and all seems well. Here are the contents if anybody wants
    to check:-

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect

    George A Hamilton, Apr 15, 2005
  17. George A Hamilton

    NotMe Guest

    try running CHKDSK from the recovery mode - boot to it on your winXP cd.
    run chkdsk WITHOUT any parameters once - if it passes, try rebooting
    - if it shows problems, then run it with the /r parameter. Is this by
    any chance winXP home edition prior to SP1?

    I've had this problem before, sometimes this fixes it, sometimes it
    doesn't... if not, you might have to reload the system.

    more details here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_xudm.asp

    NotMe, Apr 15, 2005
  18. Thanks for the reply

    I have XP Pro, SP2, with all current updates. I'll give your chkdsk idea
    a try

    Thanks again

    George

    George A Hamilton, Apr 16, 2005
  19. George A Hamilton

    ol' coot Guest

    Format the drive(slave it) but format in windows...you didn't get a clean
    format...

    ol' coot, Apr 17, 2005
  20. There was nothing wrong with the format. It isn't a new Windows
    installation, it's been running fine for months. Aside from this, I
    don't have any reason to install Windows again. To be honest, at the
    moment, I'd rather just keep the XP disc in my drive. I think that
    running the XP 'repair' installation would resolve my problem, I was
    just looking for other suggestions. Thanks anyway Mr Ol Coot!

    George

    George A Hamilton, Apr 18, 2005