NTLDR is missing.....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Primo, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Primo

    Primo Guest

    Hi,

    I have fitted a new hard drive (formatted), but can't get to do anything
    other than be detected by BIOS - then 'NTLDR is missing....' Press
    Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart' (which does nothing other than to lead to same
    message).

    AMD Athlon 100mghz

    512 mb ram

    Can't get windows xp on 'cos of above

    drive is IBM deskstar 40gb

    drive is OK - have installed it on another comp

    Jumpers are set to master

    I would appreciate any wise words.

    TIA

    Peter

    Primo, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Primo

    Harrison Guest

    If the drive is formatted, then there is no operating system on it.
    You'd have to install Windows for it to work.

    Harrison, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Primo

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 6, 2003
  4. Primo

    Billy Guest

    And what is the drive with XP set as? What was it before?

    Unless you keep it as the System drive, you will need to change the Boot
    information with a Repair or Recovery Console action. Of course all
    program pointers will be screwed ie no longer on drive C: etc.
    If you want the new drive as the primary, partition and format. Then use
    the Manufacturer's disk or a third party program to transfer the
    contents. Read the Readme file for details.

    Billy, Oct 6, 2003
  5. Primo

    Billy Guest

    Addendum.
    If this is the only drive on the system, set the BIOS to boot to CD
    (remove any floppy from the drive), and install.

    Billy, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Primo

    ***Gthang Guest

    ok go to www.bootdisk.com
    and download the relevant boot disks that you need, eg if you wanna install
    xp download the 6 XP Boot disks.
    Then set the Bios to boot to floppy first to and install xp. There u go :)

    Let me knw if u need further help

    ***Gthang, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Primo

    Harrison Guest

    I think he fixed this a few days ago.
    At any rate, no need for all that.
    Boot to CD, choose Repair, at the command line type fixmbr.

    Harrison, Oct 9, 2003