NTLDR Is Missing Error When Installing New HD? &, Checking Boot Order: How?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    I am trying to install a new HD, and
    have a Dell Dimension 4300 running XP, that had a flaky HD

    So, I took everyones advice and replaced the HD.

    Bought a Maxtor, and used their MaxBlast software to format the new HD.
    Seemed to go O.K., amazingly.

    Then I found and unpacked the Dell disk that came with my PC (XP was
    pre-installed by Dell)
    that is labeled "Reinstallation CD Windows XP Home Edition"

    Removed the Maxtor MaxBlast CD, put in the XP disk, and rebooted.

    I keep getting an error message: NTLDR Is Missing, Press Cntrol-Alt-Del".

    This is also what the Maxtor instruction booklet says to do if you get
    this error message. The XP CD disk opening screen never comes up.

    I keep restarting, but the error message keeps coming up.

    What should I now do, please ?
    -----
    It was suggested that it might be due to the PC trying to boot from the HD
    first, and without Windows installed,
    it can't do it.

    Does this sound likely ? Would this be the error message that would appear
    for this ?

    How do I check, and possibly change the booting order ?

    Much thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Robert11

    philo Guest

    assuming the CD is 'self-booting'
    you need to set the bios to boot first from CD (rather from harddrive)

    philo, Jul 28, 2003