    difference aside from the speed of the formatting? Does this normal
    formatting perform better than quick formatting when reading/saving files
    etc etc??

    Guan Foo Wah, May 1, 2004

  2. Guan Foo Wah

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "Guan Foo Wah" <> wrote in news:Ogb7wH0LEHA.1032
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > Hi,
    >
    > During installation of WinXP and Win2003, there is an option of quick
    > formatting and normal formatting of NTFS and FAT partition. What is the
    > difference aside from the speed of the formatting? Does this normal
    > formatting perform better than quick formatting when reading/saving files
    > etc etc??

    one checks. the other doesn't

    Rowdy Yates, MCSE
    --
    Rowdy's Home Page
    http://rowdy_yates2.tripod.com/

    Rowdy Yates, May 1, 2004

  3. Guan Foo Wah

    Steven Howes Guest

    Guan Foo Wah wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > During installation of WinXP and Win2003, there is an option of quick
    > formatting and normal formatting of NTFS and FAT partition. What is the
    > difference aside from the speed of the formatting? Does this normal
    > formatting perform better than quick formatting when reading/saving files
    > etc etc?

    the quick format isn´t really a format. It is more like a clearing out of
    the pointers to the files. Which is why is is so quick. Deleting 10M of
    file pointers versus setting up 60G cylinders and sectors. This is why you
    can only do a quick format on a drive that has been previously formatted.

    Steven Howes, May 9, 2004