    analysis shows barely any change and still plenty of red blocks. Is this a
    FAT32 issue? Thanks,

    Om

    Om_Audio, Mar 2, 2005

  2. Om_Audio

    Om_Audio Guest

    DOH- I had remembered it was FAT32 after I started writing the post and just
    noticed the subject line.

    Om

    Om_Audio, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Om_Audio

    philo Guest

    doesn't matter if the drive is NTFS or FAt32

    win2k defrag is a fairly useless utility...

    i tried defragging a drive that had 75% free space and it still could not do
    a decent job

    try a 3rd party utility such as diskkeeper

    philo, Mar 3, 2005
  4. Om_Audio

    Om_Audio Guest

    The native defrag works fine for me and for my use is not "fairly useless".
    I have used diskeeper and Norton- both fine products but as the native works
    fine for all my drives but 1 I will forego purchasing something new and try
    to learn why it has issue with this particular drive.

    Thanks,

    Om

    Om_Audio, Mar 3, 2005
  5. Om_Audio

    chuckie® Guest

    Just an aside, I have Diskeeper 9 on this PC, and, to date, am fairly
    unimpressed. My opine, FWIW, the native is just as good, if not better.
    Also like Speed Disk, however, I am loathe to load Norton here, too much
    'bloat' for my taste...just a thought...

    chuckie®, Mar 3, 2005
  6. Om_Audio

    Om_Audio Guest

    I am fine with Norton as long as I turn off *everything* off. I loved the
    defrag in Norton- fast and did a great job- but I switched to Nod32 for anti
    virus and never looked back after I removed Norton. I could reinstall just
    the Norton Utilities but in the end I am still left wondering why the native
    seems to be unable to defrag this one particular drive.

    Cheers,

    Om

    Om_Audio, Mar 3, 2005
  7. The SOP (standard operating procedure) for defragging critical drives is to
    do it in "safe mode" with no other applications or daemons running, that
    might keep files open and prohibit defragging (=moving) them.

    Walter Mautner, Mar 3, 2005
  8. Om_Audio

    Om_Audio Guest

    I'll try it from safe mode- but the drive is a secondary and really has no
    reason to be a troublesome defragger.

    :)

    Om

    Om_Audio, Mar 3, 2005
  9. Om_Audio

    philo Guest

    yeah , I didn't mention Norton because most of it's pretty bad nowdays...
    but Speed Disk is still a good utility...probably better than Diskeeper
    acually....

    however i stand by my statement about windows defragger...
    if it cannot properly defrag a drive with 75% free space...it's pretty bad

    philo, Mar 3, 2005
  10. 'The SOP (standard operating procedure) for defragging critical drives is to
    do it in "safe mode"' - "Walter Mautner" in message

    Pontus Kousoulas, Mar 3, 2005
  11. Om_Audio

    kier Guest

    Are you for real?

    kier, Mar 3, 2005
  12. Try vopt, its very fast and runs in any mode without a problem. It
    has to run in administrator mode or run as though.

    Hippolyte Tainz, Mar 9, 2005