    Also, I thought NTFS was supposed to be resistant to fragmentation, yet
    this disk started with about 55% fragmentation. In actual, real world
    use, does this really impact on performance?

    -=rjh=-, Sep 20, 2005

  2. -=rjh=-

    Mark C Guest

    I've always assumed that means a combination of file types (colours),
    but fragmented and so it has to choose a 'main' colour and that leads
    to some colour being over represented.
    (I also assumed that it chooses 'red' for fragmented if there is a
    combination...)

    For example, each stripe of colour might represent 40MB of disk
    space, some of which is fragmented files, some contigious files, some
    free space, some system files. It can only show one colour, so green
    gets the nod (?). If what I've said is true, then 50% green
    indicates VERY fragmented system files. What does the 'Report' say
    about system file fragmentation and total size?
    Sounds too full up to me, but I don't know.
    IIRC, it is somewhat resistant to fragmentation, as long as you
    always have 10%+ free space.

    Mark

    Mark C, Sep 21, 2005

  3. -=rjh=-

    Mark C Guest

    Mark C, Sep 21, 2005
  4. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    That's really helpful thanks - one of my other systems here is a laptop,
    and (not that I can see how it matters, since it isn't used while
    running the system normally) the hibernation file is very fragmented.

    I'll give it a shot.

    -=rjh=-, Sep 21, 2005
  5. -=rjh=-

    Tim Guest

    If you untick hybernation the hyber file is deleted. This may make it a lot
    easier and faster to defrag the disc if the drive is small or the amount of
    free space is minimal. To put the hyberfile back simply requires the reverse
    procedure.

    See Control Panel, Power, Hybernate, tick / untick Enable Hybernation and
    apply as required.

    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 22, 2005