    I couldnt find it?

    Cheers

    -Al

    Al, Oct 10, 2009

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Oct 10, 2009

  3. Al

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 00:53:15 -0700 (PDT), Al wrote:

    x-post trimmed from
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk
    to 24HSHD.
    NTBackup doesn't have a retention policy, you do.
    You could do this in a script, by either detecting the older file dates
    and times, or use a rotating filename.
    You won't. Did you think NTBackup of whatever version is that clever?

    why?, Oct 10, 2009
  4. Al

    Twayne Guest

    No, ntbackup.exe won't do that. In fact, most backup programs don't.
    The reason is that most people want to keep multiple historical backups
    for various periods of time.
    For instance, I backup by doing a full backup once a month and
    incermentals in between, and whenever anything substantial has changed
    on the machine, I do a full backup to DVDs to keep for posterity so to
    speak. If it should turn out I want that picture of Aunt Matilda I had
    last year, but wish I hadn't deleted it, I can go to an old backup and
    get it back. Same with anything else. Otherwise my backups go to my
    external terabyte disk drive.
    I said the above to give you ideas; maybe you have no need of such,
    but it's there if you do.

    Back to your question: You could accomplish what you want with a batch
    file and use Task Scheduler to run it if your backups are scheduled, or
    just run the bacth file and let it do the deletion and then open
    ntbackup for you.

    HTH,

    Twayne`

    Twayne, Oct 10, 2009
  5. Al

    BillW50 Guest

    In Twayne typed on Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:22:01 -0400:
    Actually some of them do. I just checked and I can't find which one I
    saw that does allows you to select how many backups it will keep before
    deleting the oldest one. It was most likely in one of the following:

    Ghost v11
    Acronis True Image Home 2009
    Acronis True Image WD Edition (free)
    Paragon Drive Backup v9

    Ah found it. It is Acronis True Image Home 2009. It allows you to limit
    the number of backups, the number of days old, or the size limit of all
    of the backups. Anything outside of the limits will be deleted. It is
    found under the Backup Wizard under Automatic Consolidation.

    BillW50, Oct 10, 2009
  6. Al

    Twayne Guest

    Ghost does that, and I'm pretty sure I recall Acronis too, but for some
    reason I decided that wasn't what the OP was looking for. Now I'm not so
    sure.
    For one thing I'm not sure whether it's a FIFO or a FILO or a combo
    of the two procedures and have never checked it out. When you use
    Incrementals, the lines seem to blur on me.
    I set mine to keep 5 versions but then set auto-optimize ON along
    with limiting the storage space size so I never really get 5 versions,
    but it's always at least 3. That way I have over two months of
    historical data available. Plust I do Full backups to DVD each month.
    So sounds like Ghost and TI do about the same things.

    HTH,

    Twayne`

    Twayne, Oct 12, 2009