    my computer shuts down and restarts.
    Thanks for any help
    Mark

    Mark Cunningham, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Mark Cunningham

    Mcploppy © Guest

    From: Microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    1. Number one, everyone put up your firewalls.
    Just go into your control Panel and internet connection and
    you go into the properties of your connection. Put it up,
    this is the most important thing.

    2. Then go to your Control Planel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

    Find 'Remote Procedure Call' on the list, right-click on it for properties.
    Under the 'Recovery' tab, you can change all three 'failure' conditions to
    'Restart the Service'.

    This will, at least, prevent your computer shutting down all the time. If
    you have two, do one at a time. Then after you have that all done, go to the
    microsoft website and download update for windows.

    3. Visit here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823980 and get upgrade.

    Mcploppy ©, Aug 12, 2003

  3. Mark Cunningham

    Boomer Guest

    Mark Cunningham said:
    Have you read all the information on this problem posted at this group?

    Subject: Remote Procedure Call Service terminated unexpectedly?
    Subject: RPC???
    Subject: ****** Is your system shutting down (Remote Procedure Call)?
    ******

    Boomer, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Mark Cunningham

    Trepain Guest

  5. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on 12 Aug 2003 14:09:05 GMT,
    Boomer uttered this:
    I also posted some info in :-
    Subject: Re: Windows keeps shutting itself down
    Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003

    :cool:

    William Poaster, Aug 12, 2003
  6. Mark Cunningham

    Boomer Guest

    William Poaster said:
    Yes. :) Thank you.

    I was just pointing out some subject lines that _might_ have attracted
    his attention, _if_ he had looked.

    Another was from Ron Martell
    Subject: RPC & NT Authority problem fix

    Boomer, Aug 12, 2003
  7. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on 12 Aug 2003 15:10:51 GMT,
    Boomer uttered this:
    YW, Boomer. :cool:
    Yes, *if*.. :cool:
    The more warnings & advice to correct the problem, the better...IMHO. ;-)

    I do! A glass of....BEER! <g>

    William Poaster, Aug 12, 2003
  8. Mark Cunningham

    Boomer Guest

    William Poaster said:
    Of course. :)
    Lucky you! I would need someone to hold my hand through the whole
    install, configuration(s) etc. I'm such a Windows baby. I must ween
    myself!! <Someday>

    Boomer, Aug 12, 2003
  9. Mark Cunningham

    Boomer Guest

    Sheesh. Make that *wean* not ween!

    Boomer, Aug 12, 2003
  10. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on 12 Aug 2003 16:08:00 GMT,
    Boomer uttered this:
    But not necessarily in that order!

    William Poaster, Aug 12, 2003
  11. Mark Cunningham

    trout Guest

    I'm just glad I stuck to good ol' 98SE, which wasn't vulnerable to
    this particular attack.
    It's been pretty surreal, watching the rising tide of reports in the
    newsgroup, and then seeing it splattered all over every channel in the
    evening, and then the morning news. But I guess a lot of people didn't
    watch those, either.

    trout, Aug 13, 2003
  12. Mark Cunningham

    Boomer Guest

    trout said:
    I'm a Win98er too. :)
    Radio too!
    Amazing isn't it!

    <boggles>

    Boomer, Aug 13, 2003
  13. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:28:26
    -0700, trout uttered this:
    I suppose they don't, or they ignore it. It has been known about for a month
    too! From the BBC technology website:-

    "The vulnerability exploited by the worm has been known about for almost a month
    and net security organisations have been warning that it would soon be
    exploited."

    William Poaster, Aug 13, 2003
  14. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on 12 Aug 2003 17:50:45 GMT,
    Boomer uttered this:
    Especially in this warm weather! <g>

    William Poaster, Aug 13, 2003
  15. Mark Cunningham

    Boomer Guest

    William Poaster said:
    OMG! July 16th!
    Why wasn't this blasted on the front pages etc. before it came down to
    this? Or was this hush, hush thanks to MS?
    Interested to see what happens on the 16th of this month!

    Boomer, Aug 13, 2003
  16. Mark Cunningham

    Boomer Guest

    Indeed! :))

    Boomer, Aug 13, 2003
  17. Mark Cunningham

    trout Guest

    That may well be where the kid that wrote the thing *heard* about
    it.

    trout, Aug 13, 2003
  18. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on 12 Aug 2003 23:51:01 GMT,
    Boomer uttered this:
    They've tried to hush things up before, so I wouldn't be surprised.
    That's why I don't trust them.
    Things like this & their EULA [ access to your machine, etc. ] is just plain
    scary, IMHO, when ( sometimes in the past ) they haven't even patched their
    *own* servers! :-0
    Yes. And on a weekend, when things are usually busy!

    William Poaster, Aug 13, 2003