NT Authority\System RPC shutdown problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by synaptyx, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. synaptyx

    synaptyx Guest

    Win XP SP2

    Restarted my work computer this morning only to find on re-boot
    windows takes an age to load then starts an NT Authority\System 60
    second count down to restarting siting and RPC failure as the cause.

    My system is kept up to date with patches, is virus checked an updated
    every day with AVG7 and Spybot S&D is run every week. I've
    disconnected it from the network, but still no clue as to what's
    causing the problem. Shutdown -a stops the problem temporarily then
    the 60 second dialog re-starts, not giving me a chance to do anything
    of great importance befor it dies.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Aaron

    synaptyx, Sep 9, 2004

  2. synaptyx

    Dean C Guest

    Dean C, Sep 9, 2004

  3. synaptyx

    synaptyx Guest

    I like to think I'm fairly clued up. I've been patched against all
    that stuff as soon as the patches came available. Now I'm running XP
    SP2. It is most definitely not blaster. Virus scans come up negative.
    Other problems have manifested now too. The task bar off the bottom of
    the screen with only a strip of bar showing. Most of the control panel
    programs won't work. I tried taking the frive out and rescuing the
    files in another computer, but these work computers have been
    installed with XP Home on NTFS and I can't get access to the files to
    copy them.

    Aaron

    synaptyx, Sep 9, 2004
  4. synaptyx

    Ron Martell Guest

    What happens if you boot it in Safe Mode?

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 9, 2004
  5. synaptyx

    synaptyx Guest

    The same thing. It takes ages to boot, then once I'm logged in the NT
    Authority\System RPC shutdown count down appears. This is kind of
    getting bad, I have some important work related documents on this
    machine and it won't allow me to move things to network drives or
    other internal/removable drives. Drag/drop doesn't work, neither do
    dos commands. As mentioned in my other post most of the control panel
    programs don't appear to function and the task bar is off the bottom
    of the screen and only showing a few pixels, that one is very strange
    indeed - the windows key no longer works either. The video settings
    haven't changed - you can't move the mouse pointer off the screen too
    IYSWIM. I've tried putting the (NTFS) drive into another computer to
    rescue my files, but it just says access denied when I try to copy
    them. I can't say I've used NTFS before.

    Aaron

    synaptyx, Sep 9, 2004
  6. synaptyx

    Ron Martell Guest

    This article may help with that step:

    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 308421
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=308421

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, Sep 10, 2004
  7. synaptyx

    synaptyx Guest

    Thanks for that Ron. I copied the partition, converted it to FAT32 and took
    the files off it that way. Messy I suppose, but it worked. ;) The drive is
    now re-formatted and I've re-installed XP. Thanks for your help.

    Aaron

    synaptyx, Sep 13, 2004