NS7.1 -- busted Moz registry? JMC acting weird...

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Gordon S. Hlavenka, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
    Netscape/7.1 (ax)

    Although Netscape 7.1 doesn't do some of the useful things that 4.7 did,
    the Junk Mail Controls make up for it. Of course, if JMC isn't working...

    It _used_ to work, but now junk messages are only marked, not moved out
    of Inbox. If I select "Tools/Run Junk Mail Controls on Folder" the
    messages are moved to the Junk folder (although the first one is opened
    briefly before moving). It used to be that messages would be marked and
    moved as soon as the folder was opened. This new behavior seems to have
    started after a system lockup (I am, after all, running Windows :) that
    happened while Netscape was open. This makes me think the Mozilla
    configuration (maybe the registry?) is fudged somehow.

    Under "Tools/Junk Mail Controls" I have checked "Move incoming messages
    determined to be junk mail to:" and selected the "Junk" folder. This is
    exactly as it was before.

    Old (and desired) behavior:
    - Open "Inbox"
    - Click "Get Msgs"
    - Messages come in
    - Some are automatically marked Junk
    - Junk messages are moved en masse to "Junk" folder

    New behavior:
    - Open "Inbox"
    - Click "Get Msgs"
    - Messages come in
    - Some are automatically marked Junk
    - Junk messages remain in Inbox
    - Open "Tools" menu
    - Select "Run Junk Mail Controls on Folder"
    - First junk message is opened
    - All junk messages move to "Junk" folder

    Any ideas?

    Gordon S. Hlavenka, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Well... After a week of trying to fix this the system locked AGAIN
    while Netscape was running and after rebooting Netscape rebuilt the
    index file for Inbox (just like it did after the last crash) and now JMC
    is working properly again.

    Huzzah! Self-healing Windows!

    Gordon S. Hlavenka, Oct 31, 2003