    What exactly happens to the ink!

    thanks

    http://www.rickbakerimages.com

    Rick Baker, Mar 20, 2007

  2. Rick Baker

    frederick Guest

    The ink goes in to waste pads in the base of the printer. Eventually
    counters in the printer will stop the printer from working until an
    internal counter is reset - in the case of the R1800, then only by using
    an Epson adjustment program. This is to prevent the waste pads from
    overflowing and making a mess, so when the counter stops the printer,
    then the printer also would need to be disassembled to remove and
    replace the pads. You would need to be a bit of a handyman to do this
    yourself, and would need to buy both the adjustment program, and the
    service manual for instructions on disassembling / reassembling.

    Yes, refillables make the problem worse. I despise ink pricing policies
    by Epson, Canon, and HP. OTOH, I've had an R1800 for two years, and
    have never needed to run a manual head clean cycle.

    FYI, the head cleaning sequence uses a timer. If you commence a second
    or third cycle within 7 minutes of the first cycle, then the amount of
    ink purged steps up:
    level 1 - 1.55 grams total (0.194g per colour)
    level 2 - 4.08 grams
    level 3 - 6.47 grams

    You may wish to revise whether the refilled cartridges are worth the
    cost - if you calculate how much ink you are purging in to the waste
    pads it might be costing you more than OEM.

    frederick, Mar 20, 2007

  3. Rick Baker

    Ken Lucke Guest

    If you are using cheap ink, yes. Also, if the formulations vary even
    slightly from one fill to the next, the inks can react and "clot" -
    clogging the nozzles.

    Stay away - far away - from cheap inks from China or Japan. If you
    don't *know* where your ink is coming from, you need to find out -
    quality control varies widely on inks, and different batches can be
    even be off from each other color0wise, making printing consistency
    impossible. You've got a fairly expensive printer - why skimp on ink
    costs?
    Buy some cleaning cartidges formulated to the ink you are using (again,
    it needs to match the ink you use, not just be generic cleaning
    solution - although generic will eventually [probably] clear things
    out). Install them and run them through until there's no trace of
    color coming out on one of the auto-clean cycles on the 1800 (the one
    that does the big sets of blocks, not just the lines). THEN let them
    sit in the printer OVERNIGHT at least, and do another set of cleaning
    cycles after any dried ink has softened from the cleaning solution.

    I use ink from inkvillage.com. They carry ink specifically matched for
    various printers, rather than one generic set of colors and inks.
    Color is perfect - even a photospectrometer showed only tiny, minor
    variations. I didn't even have to change or tweak my Epson .icc
    profiles. It's made in the US, has specs (both quality and color) that
    match or exceed Epson's own specs, and I have *very* little problem
    with it clogging - and I use an r1800 with a CIS system myself. In
    fact, I'm expecting a FedEx today with ink from them - I just ran out
    over the weekend (I had some on order already, so I'mm anxiously
    awaiting the arrival, as I'm trying to get an $800 order from a local
    gallery filled).

    I've been getting it in 4oz bottles (I plan on going up to 16 oz
    bottles soon as I am selling more and more prints to galleries, so my
    production is going to have to go up). With shipping, a set of 8 4oz
    bottles (which is enough to duplicate what 10-12 full sets of 8 Epson
    cartridges would contain) cost about $175. A set of Epson carts cost
    ~$85 per set of 8 cartridges. That's about 80% savings, even at the
    "high" cost of the *quality* ink.

    inkvillage.com also has developed a new ink that they have apparently
    patented which will be going into beta testing soon (and I get to be
    one of the testers, as soon as they increase from the standard CMmYyK
    colors to CMYRBKK with the r1800 requires, although I couls start right
    away with my old r300). It's called "nanochrome", and it is a hybrid
    of pigment and dye ink, with micro-encapulated pigments in a dye-based
    solution - so you get the wide gamut of dye-based ink plus the archival
    qualities of pigments. My rep there said that it totally emliminates
    bronzing and metamerism (frequently a problem before with pignment
    inks). Initial press release a while back at
    http://www.inkvillage.com/News.htm#Nov 30 2005

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Mar 20, 2007
  4. Rick Baker

    gowanoh Guest

    Surprising with all that's been publicized about head clogging in Epson
    printers with off brand ink that this still comes up.
    Although Epson prices its ink extortionately (I think it works out to about
    $10,000/gallon) there are places where genuine cartridges can be had for
    somewhat less than retail: I have had good luck with an outfit called
    Databazaar in Florida.
    With my 1800 I have made it a habit to print a nozzle check prior to any
    printing session as the printer may sit idle for up to a week before I print
    a batch. It seems utterly random when a cleaning cycle is or is not needed
    under these circumstances.
    However even with retail price ink cartridges the cost per high quality
    print is so much less than traditional wet color printing as to still be a
    relative bargain.

    gowanoh, Mar 20, 2007
  5. Which CIS system do you use, and are you happy with it? Any clooging
    problems? I ask because I am thinking of getting an R1800 and would
    definitely like to have a CIS system for it. I now have an Epson 1270
    equipped with a Mediastreet Niagra CIS installed, and it has never given
    me the slightest problem. Sometimes I don't use the printer for weeks,
    but it never clogs. However I hear that their latest models are not so
    dependable.

    Joe

    Joseph Miller, Mar 21, 2007
  6. Rick Baker

    Ken Lucke Guest

    I bought the CIS from a company called Inkonnex
    (http://www.inkonnex.com.au). I'm quite happy with it, and with them -
    I had a problem with the first one they sent me, and they just sent a
    new one, completely full of ink, no questions or returns required.
    Turned out the first one had a kinked hose that was under something and
    not visible (I found it when I pulled it out to replace it with the new
    one), so now I have a spare sitting here. I paid about $320 (USD) for
    it with ink & shipping from Australia.

    Here's a current ebay link for the same system:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CIS-ink-cartridges-tank-for-Epson-R800-R1800-refill_
    W0QQitemZ270098889241QQcategoryZ16200QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt
    em

    I've since switched inks to ink from inkvillage.com (below). I have no
    more clogging problems now than I did when I was using genuine Epson
    carts for the r1800.

    Stay away from the cheapo ones. You get what you pay for.
    inkvillage.com also sells CIS systems, so you might want to go for
    theirs. http://www.inkvillage.com/Bulk_InkJet_Refill_Systems.htm

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Mar 21, 2007