    really Kick-ass single product, provided they keep significant User
    interface compatibility with the rest of the Corel Graphics Suite and remain
    significantly cheaper than PS CS (at least $100 USD cheaper)

    JunkMonkey, Nov 20, 2004

  2. JunkMonkey

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Just look how they integrated the Micrgrafx products they picked up last
    year or so. I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Nov 20, 2004

  3. JunkMonkey

    Jeremy Guest

    Corel bought Jasc? I missed that bit of news. Is that the same Corel that
    staked its future on WordPerfect, a few years ago? Does anybody use
    WordPerfect anymore? I remember when it was THE word processor of choice in
    virtually every law office in America. Now I see it offered on eBay at
    giveaway prices.

    Oh well, I guess it's time to switch to Photoshop Elements.

    Jeremy, Nov 20, 2004
  4. JunkMonkey

    Aerticeus Guest

    LOL!

    The only good I can see is that anything which drives Photoshop in to
    further excellence must be good

    Aerticeus

    Aerticeus, Nov 20, 2004
  5. JunkMonkey

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    Is that the same Corel that
    Yep. Still use it. Still love it.
    But before Corel bought WordPerfect, it was owned by Novell. And
    Novell is still contending that Microsoft's dirty tricks are what
    crippled WordPerfect. In fact Novell has just launched a multi-million
    dollar lawsuit (after collecting $600-million-plus on another suit
    against Microsoft) arguing precisely that point:

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5450285.html

    Should be interesting.

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Nov 20, 2004
  6. JunkMonkey

    Tony Guest

    In the past Corel has bought competitors to bury them, but this time it is
    not so certain as Corel itself has new owners who might have a different
    philosophy.
    If the PSP layer system (or better yet the Photoshop) can be grafted
    onto Photopaint it would really strengthen the only real competitor to
    Photoshop, and (unless they are completely insane) would still be much
    cheaper than full Photoshop.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Nov 20, 2004
  7. JunkMonkey

    JunkMonkey Guest

    Yeah, they announced it two or three weeks ago.

    Well, remember, Corel was bought by a group of apparently well-heeled
    (California based , I think) investors and taken private eight or nine
    months ago, maybe a year ago, but no longer than that. The morons who ran
    Corel into the ground are gone now.

    I'm hoping the new management won't be quite so afraid of success like the
    old group was. I see the Jasc acquisition as a good move. Two versions
    back, Photopaint was serious competition, features wise, for PhotoShop 6
    though it was poorly marketed. But versions 10, 11 and 12 weren't really
    significant improvements over 9, the creative juices seemed to have run
    dry.

    Jasc's creativity and aggressiveness seems to be in full bloom. Worldwide,
    though eroding, the Corel Graphics Suite still has a pretty fair market
    penetration with graphics artists (CorelDraw is still the big dog of vector
    graphics programs.). I would think the two companies bring some good and
    complimentary assets to the table that with proper management could threaten
    Adobe.

    JunkMonkey, Nov 20, 2004
  8. JunkMonkey

    Aerticeus Guest

    It strikes me that this is all very timely.

    Previously (IMHO) there seemed to be 2 main extremes in digital imaging
    software as far as consumers were concerned.

    There was (is?) the professional market and the home/domestic user

    Of course as sales in digital cameras and videos grow at the phenomenal rate
    that they have been doing a good bit of uni-directional cross merging
    occurs. I have the full CS suite, most of it is redundant but it was and
    still is a very effective way for me to purchase PSCS.

    However I am not sure that I require all the detail of pro-print control
    (maybe I do but just don't realise how effective it is).

    It seems to me that there is strong ground for a mid-market product. A bit
    higher in spec and quality than PSP and not quite as high spec as PSCS?

    Of course, the same old dilemmas and dichotomies appear. Make it versatile
    usually means increasing the number of variable. Make it easy usually means
    reducing the versatility.

    One big factor that influenced my purchase of PSCS is that there really is a
    great deal of support out there for it. Tutorials, chat lines, NGs at the
    informal level and full blown support at the formal level. And, IMHO, the
    quality of support is very good indeed going to the par excellence

    It will be interesting to see how all this pans out over time.

    One thing I wonder though: does a court case win bring consumers over or
    does it create a PR nightmare?

    Aerticeus

    Aerticeus, Nov 20, 2004
  9. JunkMonkey

    Aerticeus Guest

    Thanks for the link RH - it looks interesting but ...

    Part of me wonders 536 million?

    It seems the only real contender to Office is Star Office (a freebie to
    domestic users).

    From the 1990's - if I remember well - WordPerfect Suite went greedy and
    most people I knew wouldn't buy it once its price closed in at MS Office
    price. While it was half the price people loved it, once it leaped in price
    .... well, might as well buy the real thing. And -memory straining now- I
    think there was the support issue too. MS Office just had the sparkle of a
    product going places with many wannabees following in the wake. It wouldn't
    surprise me if LSsuite decided to follow on in a wannabee fashion.

    I don't mind IE as part of the Windows suite and I hope legal action does
    not prevent me as a consumer purchaser of Windows operating systems getting
    better value from MS.

    For instance - font management in Windows. Yeh - it could be better. Does
    that mean I have to have one font manager from Adobe for use in Creative
    Suite? Another font manager from Microsoft to use in Office 2003? Another
    font manager for all the 1001+ applications that allow me to change fonts?

    Nope! I hope that the next update to Windows includes a font manager with
    freely available spec so that other software houses can tap into it. It
    would be a shame if MS decided not to support its client base & consumers
    for a morbid fear of yet another law suit.

    Thus spake Aerticeus

    Aerticeus, Nov 20, 2004
  10. JunkMonkey

    Don Dunlap Guest

    Yep, I still use Word Perfect. I have used it for about 20 years now. I had
    one brush with Microsoft word when I was asked to come back to work for a
    project after I retired. They required that I use Word for the project,
    which lasted 4 months. I relunctanly used it and actually kind of liked it
    after a while, but went back to Word Perfect after the project was over.

    Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap, Nov 20, 2004
  11. JunkMonkey

    GTO Guest

    I do not believe that this will improve JASC's PSP. Especially since some
    investor outfit manages Corel that seems to elevate the meaning of cost
    cutting to a much higher level of "sophistication". We may see some "GUI
    abuse" with a price increase.

    Gregor

    GTO, Nov 21, 2004
  12. There are still quite a few users that still use WordPerfect. Dell, as well
    as other OEMs, bundle it with some of their PCs. Corel is no longer a
    public company but is back in private hands recently taken over by a US
    company.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Nov 21, 2004
  13. I would suspect that PhotoPaint will be the flagship image editor and PSP as
    a mid-level product.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Nov 21, 2004
  14. Corel is a company that somehow survived by buying software
    products and running them into the ground. Just look at their
    history.

    Don't be surprised when you read about pink Porsches and things
    like that. Corel's owner has phantastic ideas, they just never
    seem to make much business sense.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Nov 21, 2004
  15. JunkMonkey

    John Doe Guest

    From what Corel has said they plan to copy some of the features from Paint
    Shop Pro to Photo-Paint and even Painter and possibly vice versa. They
    haven't said one way or another if they will eventually kill Photo-Paint or
    Paint Shop Pro. I suspect that since Photo-Paint isn't that popular or well
    liked that if they were going to kill anything it would be Photo-Paint. For
    that matter they could merge the two programs leaving it called Paint Shop
    Pro. I don't think they will kill off the name is it has a larger market
    share than Photo-Paint and by market share I mean number of people actually
    using it and liking it.

    As for Micrgrafx products they bought those several years ago not a year
    ago. They like Photo-Paint were lame ducks as well with very little market
    share. Corel bought them for the technology and patents for their own
    products. They said that from the start.

    As for WordPerfect Corel has never tried to use WordPerfect as the main leg
    to hold up the company. It has always been CorelDraw that has done that.
    They have hoped that WordPerfect would once again do better against
    Microsoft Office, but that ship has sailed and WordPerfect lost and that was
    due to Novell's ownership of WordPerfect and not Corel's. Novell Sunk
    WordPerfect long before Corel bought it.

    What Corel did wrong and what almost cost Corel its life was going after
    Linux customers.

    John

    John Doe, Nov 21, 2004
  16. JunkMonkey

    RSD99 Guest

    posted:
    "...
    MS Office just had the sparkle of a
    product going places with many wannabees following in the wake.
    ...."

    Wrong!

    Micro$cum Orifice "has the sparkle of THE monopoly ... and illegal software
    bundling."

    RSD99, Nov 21, 2004
  17. JunkMonkey

    RSD99 Guest

    "Hans-Georg Michna" posted:
    "...
    Don't be surprised when you read about pink Porsches and things
    like that. Corel's owner has phantastic ideas, they just never
    seem to make much business sense.
    ...."

    That was the *previous* owner. He (and his spend-thrift wife) were booted
    out.

    "The jury's still out" on the current management.

    RSD99, Nov 21, 2004
  18. JunkMonkey

    Mxsmanic Guest

    What trouble are you having with fonts? The integrated font management
    in Windows XP seems to be able to handle TrueType, Type 1, and OpenType
    fonts all quite well. I have more than 1500 fonts installed on my
    system, of all three types.

    Mxsmanic, Nov 21, 2004
  19. Were those the same morons that ran Corel when it took over Bryce 3D.
    They had stopped any further development on that program and now someone
    else (Daz 3D I think) took it over.

    True. I had version 8 and from what I've seen, V 9 and 10 didn't have any
    real changes.
    I can't speak for V 11 and 12 as I haven't seen them.
    It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

    --

    Israel Rodriguez

    http://www.tehawk.com
    http://home.earthlink.net/~tehawk

    Israel Rodriguez, Nov 22, 2004
  20. JunkMonkey

    Tony Guest

    The problem with Corel is there are so many users like me. I still use
    Corel Draw --- Version 7. And I know people who wouldn't move up to 7 from
    version 6 if you bribed them with a BMW.
    With every new version of Corel Draw (from 4 to 10 at least) there were
    vast changes in how the program operated, what tools were available (highly
    successful stuff was dropped for no apparent reason), and even in the
    interface.
    I tried 8 at a friends house and decided that there was really nothing in
    it for me, especially not with the number of techniques I would have to
    re-learn to use eight. So I decided to wait for version 9 - which proved to
    be a huge change. My friend took it off his computer after fighting with it
    for about a month, and he still uses version 8. I tried it out, thought
    about it and decided to wait for version 10. I only read the reviews of
    version 10 - I don't know anyone who has it. I haven't bothered to read the
    reviews since - I don't care.
    Adobe is solid. I can use version 6 at my house, help a frioend do
    something with his version 7, and try out the fun new stuff in CS at another
    friend's house. The program works the same, all the tools I learned in
    version 4 are still there, and the interface is identical. If I ever change
    my drawing program it will be to go to Adobe.

    Tony, Nov 22, 2004