    and STARTED using digitally-dedicated lenses that could
    conceivably be much smaller??
    -Rich

    Rich, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Rich

    l e o Guest

    I wish there is a way to eliminate this troll premanantly.
    The answer is DX. If you want to make it even smaller and can put in an
    F-type mount, register your patent and sell it to Nikon.

    l e o, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Rich

    Roy Guest

    Have you noticed that there are still a fair number of people using 35mm
    film SLRs. Some also have DSLRs. They often tend to have a fair range of
    lenses, and those designed for Film, can be used on Digital.

    But the Digital-dedicated lenses don't work on film.

    So the Digital-only lenses on the market are mostly Wide to Standard Angle,
    because Film lenses don't give Wide angle on digital.

    With Tele lenses both camera types can use them successfully.

    So why would the makers spend lots of money on producing an additional lens
    type which can only be of use on one Camera type.

    Roy G

    Roy, Sep 9, 2005
  4. Oh, that's strange as Zeiss 18mm and 21mm Distagons work very well on
    Canon 1DsMkII's. But we are talking about a full format (35mm) sensor
    here.

    "The booksellers are generous liberal-minded men."

    Samuel Johnson
    "Life of Johnson" (J. Boswell), Vol. I, 1756

    John A. Stovall, Sep 9, 2005
  5. Rich

    Alfred Molon Guest

    But the lens of the 828 is F2-2.4, vs. F2.8-4.8 for the R1. And the zoom
    range is bigger.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 9, 2005
  6. Rich

    Leonard Guest

    And on the other hand it _is_ much larger than the lens
    on my Rollei B35 which has a larger sensor again. Odd, that.

    - Len

    Leonard, Sep 9, 2005
  7. And although I didn't have the chance to compare side by side, in my hands
    the R1's lens seems detectably larger in diameter than the F-828's. The
    whole camera feels very bulky.

    More comment and pictures from the launch event are at:

    http://dpnow.com/2113.html

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Sep 10, 2005
  8. Rich

    Beach Bum Guest

    No, it's about time they make full sized square sensors and stop the stupid
    cropping game.

    Beach Bum, Sep 10, 2005
  9. Rich

    BC Guest

    "No, it's about time they make full sized square sensors and stop the
    stupid
    cropping game."

    What are the dimensions of a "full sized square sensor"??? (30.6 x
    30.6mm ?)

    BC, Sep 10, 2005
  10. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Good point. They do, if you can afford a Hasselblad, Phase One, etc.
    -Rich

    Rich, Sep 10, 2005