    to edit and 54k to open in earlier versions of Windows (MS KB page).
    Does anyone know the larger limit, and is it due to NTFS? Thanks.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2005

  2. Tom MacIntyre

    Gerard Bok Guest

    The file limit is supposed to be 64 KB.
    Because that's the maximum segment size in 16-bit mode :)
    It has nothing to do with NTFS or FAT.

    Just tried XP Prof. No problem opening a 61 KB.
    Probably not much room to edit :)

    Gerard Bok, Dec 4, 2005

  3. I always thought that it was 64k, but the MS KB article said 45
    edit/54 read. I guess if it's segment size (I had forgotten that, like
    so many other things I used to know), with 32-bit it'll handle quite a
    large file. :)

    The files I was reading were 80-90k, and no error message to use
    another program, Notepad just opened them. I'll have to try some
    bigger ones for grins and giggles.

    Thanks.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Tom MacIntyre

    smackedass Guest

    This is interesting, I know that programmers (I know NOTHING about
    programming) often prefer either notepad or wordpad, I forget which, for
    their "sandbox" programs, since they're easily transferrable and available.
    And, I know, that whenever I use one of them, I forget which, if I'm trying
    to open a file that's too large for it, asks me if I'd like to use the other
    one, instead.

    smackedass

    smackedass, Dec 4, 2005
  5. I've now opened files as large as 2M (an MP3) with Notepad...slow
    going, though.

    Of course I will keep playing with this. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Tom MacIntyre

    MF Guest

    It was slow because it didn't understand the file. Try HTML for big files.
    I've opened HTML files over 1 meg in about half a second.

    And just now inspired by frivolity - no wonder I don't have a yacht - just
    opened a 14.2 meg html file in about 3.5 seconds.

    Some folks here sound as if 2K and XP never happened :) I think the
    Notepad's file size is now for practical purposes unlimited - and before
    someone proves that this is not possible, I mean that it will open any text
    file of any size that one is likely to find.

    Now I am going to calculate how many angels can dance on the pointy head of
    a politician.

    Mike

    MF, Dec 5, 2005
  7. If the calculation works the same as for 16-bit (which I think it
    should), it's 4G with 32 bit. That's a pretty big file...pagefile.sys
    on steroids. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 5, 2005