Notebook + dial up modem + wireless router = wireless network ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fujikoma_2008, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. fujikoma_2008

    fujikoma_2008

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi everyone

    I have a Acer9410AZ notebook, running XP. The Acer has the built in Agere Systems HDA Modem and a Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC adapter.

    I only have dial up access at my apartment as there is no other infrastructure where I am living/working at the moment. (Kazakhstan)

    The question is, can I connect a wireless router to the notebook, once I have an established dial up connection using the built in modem, thereby being able to setup a wireless network for a 3rd wireless device.

    OR

    IS another option to get an external modem, connect to the net via dial up using the laptop and the external modem, and connecting a wireless router to the modem to set up a wireless network.

    Any help is appreciated

    :barresed: maybe this has been answered before ?

    fujikoma_2008, Feb 20, 2008

  2. fujikoma_2008

    dan.cave

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2008
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Fuji.

    You can only use your agere built in modem to access the internet (or other dialup services) offered by any Internet service provider (ISP).

    If you buy a wireless adsl/broadband router (such as a netgear/linksys/Draytek) or connect a 3g usb modem to it ( the draytek's support this feature - depending on which model you buy)

    Presuming that your laptop has a wireless network card, you can connect to the wireless router using laptop, then connect to the internet.

    OR you can buy a USB/PCMCIA 3G data card and access the internet that way. This will give you more flexibilty if you want to travel but you may want to check the options from different Mobile 3g providers first.

    dan.cave, Feb 21, 2008