    while I'm on the road.)

    Also, does anyone know any online test sites that look at equipment like
    this from a photographer's point of view?

    Tim Green, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Tim Green

    Pete Guest

    If you're serious about your photo work -- and it sounds like you are --
    I'd suggest that there is no such thing as a suitable LCD display, either
    laptop or desktop. The representation of the image simply varies too much
    with small changes in viewing angle. I also don't like the hard edges of
    the display pixels.

    Other than basic cropping and throwing away bad pics, I always wait till I
    get home and get onto my old-fashioned CRT monitor.

    I'm sure some will disagree!

    Pete

    Pete, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Tim Green

    Tim Green Guest

    If you're serious about your photo work -- and it sounds like you
    are --
    I do understand this, but there are still degrees of unsuitable. The two
    19" Hansol TFTs (Samsung panels) I use on my desktop machine are quite
    acceptable for basic photo editing, for example, with an excellent white
    and black and reasonable color accuracy. I still use the Iiyama CRT for
    fine color work, but the Hansols are fine for quick fixes, which is all
    I want on the notebook as well. Viewing angle has also improved
    dramatically over the last couple of years; on desktop TFTs it's really
    not much of a problem any more.

    The Samsung notebook screen was so blue that it simply wasn't possible
    to have even a vague idea of what the colors might look like -- although
    "untrained" users really don't seem to notice it unless you specifically
    point it out to them.

    I'd be interested to hear what photojournalists use, for example -- I
    don't believe that they lug CRTs all over the world with them, and I
    know that lots of them post on the go from hotspots etc. I suppose they
    leave most of the editing up to the art department, but I'm sure that
    there are some who care enough to want to do at least some of it
    themselves.
    Well, in my case that would sometimes mean waiting a month, and I'd
    really like to be able to do at least some basic work while I'm on the
    road.

    Tim Green, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Tim Green

    ERich10983 Guest

    I spend three months at an RV site in Florida, so lugging around a 19" CRT
    monitor is out of the question. I went into Best Buy on a slow Monday morning,
    plugged my laptop into a whole series of LCD monitors and decided on the Sony
    SDM-HS93 as giving me the best color and contrast for my needs. I also just
    bought an HP Pavilion zx5180us laptop that I'm very satisfied with.

    The display in the laptop by itself would be good enough, but I really do like
    the larger external display.

    At some point, we have to decide what is "good enough" and be happy with that.
    I have a system that I can work with, is portable, and gives me the results I
    want.

    Earle Rich
    Mont Vernon, NH

    ERich10983, Jun 24, 2004