Not sure what to buy

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by mrskinnypete, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. mrskinnypete

    mrskinnypete Guest

    I currently am in the process of evaluating our best option for
    upgrading our deprived network infrastructure.

    We currently have approx 30 24 port 3com unmanaged switches. Our
    network / company is growing a lot, and they are not cutting it any
    more. I was looking at getting 2-3 Cisco switches.

    1 - root switch plug all other switches into it.
    1 - switch for LAN servers
    1 - switch for DMZ servers.

    I am really not sure what I need to get .. I was looking at the
    2950/60's as well as the 3500 series. We do not have a huge budget,
    but if someone could give me a few ideas, and the pro's and cons to
    these switches, I would appreciate it.

    Thanks
    Peter

    mrskinnypete, Feb 28, 2006

  2. What features do you need that are not present on the existing
    devices? What line rates do you need? What intra-switch traffic rates
    would you need? What security controls? What kind of monitoring
    do you want to be able to do? Do any of the ports need to be optical?

    Walter Roberson, Feb 28, 2006

  3. mrskinnypete

    mrskinnypete Guest

    Well ... as I already said .. our network is as basic as you can get
    .... so anything is an improvement. We have no VLans, no traffic
    shapeing between switches .... nothing optical. This is more of a
    first step to upgrade the infastructure. We do not have a huge budget,
    so ... I will only be able to get 2 - 3 switches. Some suggestions on
    design are always welcome. I did a lot of reading on cisco switches
    (cat 1900's) about 5 years ago, but am very rusty to say the least. I
    will have to do some brushing up for sure. regardless, you know what I
    have. My initial goal is to improve network throughput and stability.
    Not a lot of security concerns at the moment.

    mrskinnypete, Feb 28, 2006
  4. mrskinnypete

    Merv Guest

    If all the switches are connected to a one root switch in one big falt
    network then that is the FIRST thing you should change.

    I am a big fan a small network segments - read one VLAN per access
    switch - with small access switches being preferred.

    So with a small budget I would recommend you buy one rock-solid layer 3
    switch to plug you existing switches into and then one by one I would
    migrate each access switch to its own IP subnet. If you can afford two
    of them even better then you can plug half into one and the remainder
    into the other thus providing the base for some network redundancy.

    Take a look at the Cisco Catalyst 3750 stackables

    Merv, Feb 28, 2006