    DSE seems to be listing them as clearance items.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 25, 2006

  2. Spoil them and buy the Xbox360 and Playstation 3. It will set you back
    a few hundred bucks but hey the kids will love you for it.)Hehehe
    hopefully my wife doesn't read this.

    aldrin fabricius, Oct 25, 2006

  3. I'm not sure about the nintendo but google is your friend!

    aldrin fabricius, Oct 25, 2006
  4. thingy

    thingy Guest

    We dont have a TV, so a tv powered console is not an option. A portable
    could/would also occupy over extended car journeys and other odd times....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 25, 2006
  5. thingy

    Don Hills Guest

    |How does the Nintendo DS rate for toughness? I have been warned off the
    |psp as too fragile for under teens.....(not to mention the price is too
    |high for me)

    My 9 yo daughter's DS has survived for 9 months so far, but I made sure to
    buy a case (it doesn't come with a protective bag or case) and I insist on
    it being in the case whenever it leaves the house. Check out shops like the
    Gamesman for cases. Bear in mind that the price of the console is more or
    less irrelevant, you'll end up spending much more on software.

    Don Hills, Oct 26, 2006
  6. thingy

    thingy Guest

    yeah, I have been looking at them (cases and the games
    themselves).....he has a good-ish PC with a few games and dvds so we are
    not so sure it is a good idea......but there are times it would be of
    advantage, extended traveling is one....I spy with my little eye gets
    boring after an hour....if I do get it I would get the bits like case
    and screen protector etc.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 26, 2006
  7. When it comes to handhelds the GBA and NDS are the top picks. The NDS
    has vastly outsold the PSP which does not really seem to have many
    original games. No doubt the PSP is nice, but there's nothing I wouldn't
    rather play on the PS2 or already am doing so.

    All of Nintendo's clamshell handhelds (GBA-SP, NDS, NDS Lite) are tough
    and protect the screen(s) far better. Game Boys and their descendents
    have always had a reputation for being built like tanks.

    The only thing I'd add is to maybe buy a clear film screen protector for
    at least the NDS/NDS Lite's bottom touch screen (which is pretty tough,
    but unfortunately not immune to scratching from the stylus). Let the
    film take the scratches and just replace it once a year.

    Lastly - read the game reviews at <http://www.gamespot.com/ds>. Like any
    console there's a lot of dreck out there. Don't waste you money on bad
    games.

    I personally recommend:

    Mario Kart DS - super fun against other DS owners locally or over
    Nintendo's WiFi gaming service, and great single player mode for when
    you're alone and not in range of a WiFi hotspot.

    Advance Wars Dual Strike

    Animal Crossing Wild World

    Metroid Prime Hunters

    Tony Hawk's American Sk8land

    Brain Training

    Check out the GameSpot reviews of the above to learn more.

    HTH,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 26, 2006
  8. You're ignoring that he said "similar" to the PSP or NDS. i.e. handheld.
    BTW - where is he going to get a PS3? Magic?

    Anyway, The Wii is clearly the must buy home (non-portable) console this
    Christmas. One word: Innovation. What Sony and MicroSoft are missing.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 26, 2006
  9. thingy

    Don Hills Guest

    For travelling by car, a portable DVD player may be a better buy.
    (One of the ones where the display straps to the back of one of the front
    seats, and the player plugs into the cigarette lighter). They've been as
    cheap as $170 in New World supermarkets recently. The advantage is that you
    (the viewer) aren't looking down as you would be using a handheld console,
    so are less likely to suffer motion sickness. (Many people get queasy if the
    keep their eyes "in car" for long periods, but are fine if they look out the
    window.) The Nintendo DS has the same problem as many PDAs, the backlight is
    not bright enough for daylight use. This leads to the spectacle of my
    daughter sitting in her favourite chair in the sun, with a rug over her head
    so she can see the screen. :) This would be as big a problem in a car.

    Don Hills, Oct 26, 2006
  10. T'was the Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:09:41 +1300 when I remembered
    (Jamie Kahn Genet) saying something like
    this:
    The PS3 has motion sensors in the controller, not to the same extent
    as say the Wii, but still, something is better than nothing. I'm still
    betting on the PS3 being the machine to beat (if your screen supports
    it:)).

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 26, 2006
  11. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Hmmm, yes, kida leaves it out then.........I did think on a portable dvd
    player....bit in-flexible...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 26, 2006
  12. If the NZ promotion of the Wii is like the Wii stand they had at
    Armageddon then its doomed.

    I like the Wii but the problem is that the fancy controller can be
    replicated on the 360 and PS3. Unfortunately the fancy graphics of the
    360 and PS3 can't be replicated on the Wii.

    Jason Clinton, Oct 26, 2006
  13. The DS Lite has a MUCH better display more suitable for outdoor use.

    Too bad the price advantage over the PSP is gone. At $268 for a DS
    Lite, its not much cheaper than a PSP at $299.

    I like my DS - no loading times, easy to play games (I don't really
    want to play massive complicated games on a handheld)

    Jason Clinton, Oct 26, 2006
  14. thingy

    Don Hills Guest

    Inflexible? My brother-in-law has one with dual screens. (4 kids in an SUV.)
    When it's not in the car, it's in the youngest kids' bedroom hooked up to an
    Xbox. My wife would love one so she could sit in bed with it on a bed tray
    in front of her. One of my bachelor friends does just that, he has a large
    home theatre setup but in winter he sits in his easily heated bedroom to
    watch DVDs instead of heating the large lounge.

    Don Hills, Oct 26, 2006
  15. The NDS Lite is much, much brighter and relieves this problem.

    As to portable DVD players... mmmm... It just always seems a bit crazy
    IMHO to spend a few hundred dollars on a device that can only do one
    thing, when for the same money you could buy a secondhand laptop with a
    DVD player that will allow you to do so much more.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 26, 2006
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 27, 2006
  17. thingy

    thingy Guest

    His PC already does DVDs....

    For a decent sized screen, I might as well buy a cheap acer laptop at
    $900 odd....anyway I bought him a bike for his birthday....outside &
    doing exercise seems a better bet...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 29, 2006
  18. thingy

    Jo Guest

    A portable
    Whatever you do, dont get sucked into that one

    Jo, Oct 29, 2006