Not happy w/new 19" LCD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WCH, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. WCH

    WCH Guest

    I just replaced a 17" LCD monitor (a Dell I got from work) with a 19"
    Samsung SyncMaster 930B. I'm happy with the image quality and the
    colors, but there are things related to screen resolution that I wasn't
    expecting.

    The "preferred resolution" for the Samsung is 1280 x 1024. For my
    purposes, that's a lot of "white space" in most web sites, small screen
    fonts even when set to Large Fonts and generally smaller text and
    graphics than I would prefer. If, however, I change the screen
    resolution to either 1280 x 960 or any lesser resolution, the fonts look
    fuzzy on the desktop, in web sites and in documents. I can't find a way
    to address this fuzzy font business.

    Is this problem mostly related to how larger LCDs deal with less than
    optimum screen resolutions, or is my Samsung less able then others to
    deal with this issue? I want to stick to a relatively affordable
    monitor (under $500) and the Samsung meets most of my needs except this
    one. What options do I have?
    WC

    WCH, Oct 18, 2005

  2. WCH

    why? Guest

    Didn't mention OS, if it's XP did you try to enable ClearType. On my XP
    Pro 32bit and XP Pro 64bit it auto detected the monitor and I am quite
    sure it enabled Clear Type by default.
    Same for my Samsung SyncMaster 191T.
    Complain to the webmaster.

    I guess you mean white space on the right, then complain to the
    webmaster, or look at the page design figure out why and then complain
    to the webmaster. This is nothing to do with your monitor.
    Small fonts are 96dpi , Large fonts 120dpi , 125%. My video card driver
    allows scaling so I can increase this when needed.

    I also use Display | Properties | Appearance
    and set the items in the drop down Item list from 8/10 to 10/12 pt as
    needed.
    Same here, the video card has more settings than the monitor.

    Isn't that the case of selecting another resolution of the same x/y
    ratio?
    Me

    why?, Oct 18, 2005

  3. WCH

    kenny Guest

    thats the way LCD technology is at the moment,
    one alternative for the browsers is to use OPERA, AVANTBROWSER.com
    or MAXTHON browser. All of these support magnification of the web page
    to any point you want, like zoom in and out.
    I use AVANTBROWSER, its the best.

    kenny, Oct 18, 2005
  4. WCH

    kenny Guest

    yes and as the other poster suggested use large fonts.. larger dpi on the
    control panel>display properties>settings tab>advanced button and on the DPI
    choose LARGE 120 dpi or an even greater size. Also on display properties on
    the APEARANCE tab look for FONT SIZE and put that to large or larger. With
    the advaced button next to that option you can go and make the fonts as big
    as you want. Also use cleartype... you can turn it on from the EFFECTS
    button on the same tab.

    And as I said use avantbrowser that has a zoom page option for all the page
    (images and text)

    tell me if this helps and take a look at my site if you want

    www.computerboom.com

    Kenny

    kenny, Oct 18, 2005
  5. WCH

    WCH Guest

    I'm running Windows 2000 Pro so I don't know if I have the "clear type"
    option. If I do, I can't find it.

    I tried bumping up my font sizes in Properties/Advanced but they look
    butt ugly when I do that. And I know that I can increase font sizes in
    my browser (I use Firefox) but they quickly look blunt and ugly too. I
    can just try to overlook how they look, but why would I DO that? A
    monitor is largely about how it "looks", so I want it to look good at
    whatever resolution I set. I gather from the replies received so far
    that this is more about LCDs, O/Ss and screen resolutions GENERALLY
    rather than about my particular model of Samsung?
    WC

    WCH, Oct 18, 2005
  6. WCH

    why? Guest

    Using the 1280 x 1024 native resolution?

    You also checked the default refresh rate you have on the video card /
    monitor settings.

    Perhaps also check your monitor info, is it something like Compatiable
    LCD / Autodetected ? It's been years but I may have gone to the Samsung
    site and downloaded a driver for the 191T.

    If I did it will be on my software CD, will have a look.
    I have the font sizes up and changed to same font in every app that will
    do it.
    A hi-res CRT is still better than LCD's.
    :) There are some really nice Sony LCD's at work 19/20" they look
    quite good. Remembered the part nec 2080ux and it shows in the price.

    It's been a while , from what I remember the native res was better than
    the 1280x1024, must have been 1600.

    why?, Oct 18, 2005
  7. WCH

    Dan Evans Guest

    That's why there is a "preferred resolution". Enable "clear type fonts"

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 18, 2005
  8. WCH

    why? Guest

    Not for Windows 2000, as OP mentioned in a later post.

    why?, Oct 18, 2005
  9. WCH

    kenny Guest

    Sorry then... windows 2000 wont do what you want.
    Win2k was not made with LCD monitors in mind.. and its outdated.
    There is no cleartype, but there is the normal font smoothing.

    I think I saw though an application that DID what you want... But I will
    have to look into it and get back to you..

    in the mean time here is my reply:

    First of all the text enlargment of firefox is far inferior to what I said
    about the other browsers.
    I am talking about zoom in to the whole page as if it was an image.
    Perhaps there is an extension for firefox that does this, but I am not aware
    of it.

    The best solution will be to upgrade to XP or even better to VISTA when its
    out.
    Apparently windows VISTA will be able to work better in any resolution
    without these
    constraints.

    Let me give you an alternative..:) I am good at creative solutions you
    know..
    If your LCD monitor supports pivoting. meaning rotating the whole monitor 90
    degrees then
    you will have the best format for viewing web pages having the short side of
    the monitor as WIDTH
    and the long side of the monitor as HIGHT. Even if your monitor does NOT
    support it,
    you can probably use another base that will allow this. I have seen some
    that you can
    suppott the monitor on a arm like thing and place it anyway you like.
    The rotation will also need a software part. If your Graphic card is ATI or
    NVIDIA
    these have these rotation capabilities with the drivers that you will find
    on their websites and of course are free...
    if you have another graphic card that does not have this you can use an app
    from http://www.entechtaiwan.net/
    called iROTATE.

    Another option:
    You can try a small application out. I uploaded it to my site for you, since
    I dont see it on the original site anymore.
    I know you wont be thrilled with the results
    but its worth a spin:

    http://www.computerboom.net/downloads/eyerelief.exe

    EyeRelief: Desktop Scaling Utility

    Automatic install/uninstall.

    OS support:
    Windows 98
    Windows Millennium
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Windows 2003 Server

    EyeRelief provides control over Windows desktop
    scaling via an easy-to-use menu on the Windows
    taskbar system tray. The scaling is applied to
    GDI elements only, allowing users with, e.g.,
    high density LCDs to run Windows at the LCD's
    native resolution with improved legibility.
    Ten scaling increments are available, in
    percentages ranging from 100% to 200% relative
    to the dimensions found when EyeRelief is first
    installed.

    Note that EyeRelief has no effect on bitmaps or
    on some toolbar icons, and no direct effect on
    the size of the Windows taskbar (unless the
    taskbar is set to Auto-hide).

    To completely cancel/undo the effects of EyeRotate,
    select a different Theme or Appearance scheme in Windows
    Display Properties, click Apply, and then re-select
    and Apply your preferred Theme or Appereance scheme.

    kenny, Oct 18, 2005
  10. WCH

    kenny Guest

    http://personalcomputing.portrait.com/us/products/lv_overview.html

    see if this helps, and if you try it tell me...

    Liquid View is a utility that lets you increase the legibility of the
    Microsoft Windows® interface regardless of your display's native resolution.
    The software lets you increase the size of items that are hard to read on
    your monitor. Desktop icons and fonts, your desktop toolbar, and Microsoft
    application toolbars can be resized with the touch of a button. Reduce the
    eye strain caused by illegible text items on your desktop and application
    interfaces. With Liquid View you won't have to squint at your screen.

    Liquid View delivers an easy and affordable method to resize Windows objects
    for improved legibility.

    Key Features

    a.. 11 predefined settings provides smooth, gradual scaling
    b.. On-the-fly desktop scaling
    c.. Scales tools within MS Office applications
    d.. Enhanced mouse size and speed
    e.. Floating button and floating Control Panel
    f.. Multi-user support
    g.. Works with notebooks, LCDs, and CRT displays
    h.. Supports multiple languages: English, Japanese, French, German,
    Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Korean, and Chinese (Traditional and Simplified)
    Liquid View offers improved legibility by scaling the Windows interface to
    best fit your particular preference, regardless of the native resolution
    setting. You don't have to endure eye strain while enjoying the crisp detail
    of your monitor. Customize your desktop icons and fonts, your desktop
    toolbar and Microsoft application toolbars to a legible size and keep your
    entire screen crisp and clear.

    How It Works
    Liquid View software utility scales the Windows user interface by
    manipulating the display registers and preference settings within the
    Windows operating system.

    Liquid View defines relationships between fonts, graphics, and icons at
    eleven different levels to provide the best overall scaling factors for the
    display. This utility alters the high-resolution pixels per inch to a
    virtual 85 ppi by utilizing these scaling factors.

    Liquid View scales various Windows interface components independent of the
    native resolution resulting in improved legibility without the user having
    to change the resolution of their display.

    *download price, CD-ROM version slightly higher.

    kenny, Oct 18, 2005
  11. WCH

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:54:36 +0300, kenny wrote:

    Could you please include some of the post you are replying to and not
    change the subject line.
    I think I will have a look as well. Thanks.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 18, 2005
  12. WCH

    kenny Guest

    why, Why?
    If you dont like my style dont read my posts!

    kenny, Oct 18, 2005
  13. WCH

    Dan Evans Guest

    I know, but that post didn't show on my server until after I had posted.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 19, 2005
  14. WCH

    Dan Evans Guest

    Yeah, there's a thing called "hide read posts" as well, so as the thread
    you're replying to has been marked as read, your changed subject line
    appears to be a new one.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 19, 2005
  15. WCH

    kenny Guest

    it is more logical to adjust the subject so that the reader and the searcher
    in the future will spot the answer faster.

    You are not aware of the changes that will happen in the MS newsgroups with
    the launch of Vista that will have a new kind of newsreader and email
    client. I am posting this way for the future too, not only now.

    kenny, Oct 19, 2005
  16. No, it isn't. It's best to leave it in the same thread. But you
    obviously aren't smart enough to figure that out, or is it that you
    haven't figured out how to find posts.
    newsgroups

    This isn't an MS newsgroup.
    And everybody will be using Vista, right?
    No you're not. You're posting the way you are because you don't have a
    clue.

    snip

    Ricardo La Tete, Oct 19, 2005
  17. WCH

    kenny Guest

    well well the group is full of netcops....

    I dont see any of you posting about the OP questions...
    and that makes you trolls

    kenny, Oct 19, 2005
  18. WCH

    Dave Lear Guest

    Not to mention top-posters!

    Dave Lear, Oct 19, 2005
  19. WCH

    Dan Evans Guest

    No, people who have respect for the accepted ways of Usenet - like *NOT TOP
    POSTING* for one thing.
    IS that the MS Vista definition of "troll"? Probably, as no-one in this
    thread appears to be trolling in its accepted meaning. Yet another accepted
    standard the MS wants to take over and change?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 19, 2005
  20. WCH

    Top Guest