    Rob Morley Guest

    That doesn't explain why the router is slowing things down when he's
    running wired with the wireless disabled.

    Rob Morley, Aug 25, 2007

  2. DT

    Lurch Guest

    I didn't think that was the problem? My take on it was wireless is not
    so good, wired is good. The wired connection could be maxing out the
    broadband link anyway.

    Lurch, Aug 25, 2007

  3. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    "if I connect an ethernet cable from my pc to one of the LAN ports on
    the router my download speed is between 13mb and 15mb. I can only
    achieve 20mb downloads if I connect the PC direct to the cable modem
    with an ethernet cable."

    Rob Morley, Aug 25, 2007
  4. DT

    Lurch Guest

    Clearly I didn't read the OP properly!

    Lurch, Aug 25, 2007
  5. DT

    comment Guest

    "so the problem, it would appear, is with my wireless network."

    comment, Aug 25, 2007
  6. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    The wireless router being part of the wireless network, and also having
    an ethernet switch ...

    Rob Morley, Aug 26, 2007
  7. DT

    comment Guest

    So why did you start talking about plasterboard then?

    comment, Aug 26, 2007
  8. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    Because he has an even bigger speed problem with the wireless
    connection.

    Rob Morley, Aug 26, 2007
  9. DT

    comment Guest

    Quote me the bit of the post that says that.

    comment, Aug 26, 2007
  10. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    "I have a WGT624 v2 wireless router and a WG311T wireless network card
    and I can only achieve somewhere between 10mb and 13mb downloads."

    Rob Morley, Aug 27, 2007
  11. DT

    comment Guest

    Nice try but he didn't post the second quote till after you already
    mentioned the plasterboard.

    comment, Aug 27, 2007
  12. DT

    DT Guest

    Ignore him Rob. I'm beginning to think he is a troll as he has not given any
    useful suggestions or input into the question I asked and his first reply
    was "Cretin!".

    Dave

    DT, Aug 27, 2007
  13. DT

    comment Guest

    That's because you are a cretin.Your original post clearly gave the
    impression it was a wireless problem and after getting several good
    suggestions about a solution it suddenly became an *Oh I've done it
    wired*
    problem too. It looks to me like you are the troll my little petit
    pois.

    comment, Aug 27, 2007
  14. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    Some people are not blessed with intellect and charm, but Jesus loves
    them all the same.

    Rob Morley, Aug 27, 2007
  15. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    So what? I mentioned plasterboard because he said he had a poor
    wireless connection. As it turns out the plasterboard probably isn't
    foil backed anyway. I only included the second quote to support my
    statement that the wireless connection was slower than the wired
    connection. That was what you asked me to show. Do try to keep up.

    Rob Morley, Aug 27, 2007
  16. DT

    DT Guest

    You are of no use to this tread and so I will ignore any more posts from
    you.

    Dave

    DT, Aug 27, 2007
  17. DT

    frederico Guest

    You seem to be saying if I read this right that if the router is in the
    loop (wired or unwired) that you only only get cerca 15mb download. This
    router has a bit of a reputation (on some cable networks at least) of not
    being capable of more than that.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=wiki&tag=Cable_Extreme_Routers
    is one example of this. As for the wireless speed being a bit less than
    the wired speed that is to be expected, if it's relevant.

    frederico, Aug 27, 2007
  18. DT

    DT Guest

    You seem to be saying if I read this right that if the router is in the
    loop (wired or unwired) that you only only get cerca 15mb download. This
    router has a bit of a reputation (on some cable networks at least) of not
    being capable of more than that.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=wiki&tag=Cable_Extreme_Routers
    is one example of this. As for the wireless speed being a bit less than
    the wired speed that is to be expected, if it's relevant.

    Many thanks for your reply. This is what I am starting to think myself as
    someone else who uses the same ISP as myself and has the exact sane Netgear
    hardware is also having the same problem, so it looks like I will be
    changing my Netgear hardware for something else which will probably be
    either Lynsys or D-Link, but at this time i'm unsure which make/model to go
    for.

    Dave

    DT, Aug 28, 2007
  19. DT

    comment Guest

    Keep wriggling Rob :)

    comment, Aug 28, 2007
  20. DT

    Alex Fraser Guest

    You mean full-duplex (transmission both ways, simultaneously).
    You mean half-duplex (transmission both ways, but only one way at a time).
    (Simplex is transmission one way only.)
    Collisions in half-duplex Ethernet are normal. Even lots of collisions are
    normal. The main problem with mismatched duplex modes is that the
    half-duplex end sees /late/ collisions, which should never happen on a
    network that is operating properly. (There are other causes of late
    collisions.)
    Pretty much anything you buy today will do full-duplex, but that makes it
    /more/ likely you will have a duplex mode mismatch! Typically, the default
    setting - in some cases the only setting - is to automatically negotiate the
    duplex mode, but with some combinations of equipment this doesn't work, and
    the result is a mismatch.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Aug 28, 2007