    this download speed with my Netgear hardware?

    Thanks,
    Dave

    DT, Aug 22, 2007

  2. DT

    Conor Guest

    It's not the hardware but the quality of the ADSL connection. The
    speeds are "UP TO" 20MB and that depends on several key factors.

    Conor, Aug 22, 2007

  3. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    He said he gets 20Mb/s at the modem, but not over WiFi.

    Rob Morley, Aug 23, 2007
  4. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    The problem with PCI wireless cards is that they tend to be screened by
    the PC case. Try using a USB dongle on the end of an extension lead so
    you can position it better.

    Rob Morley, Aug 23, 2007
  5. DT

    DT Guest

    As I stated I get 20mb when my PC is connected directly to the cable modem,
    I get less if connected via my wireless router so the problem, it would
    appear, is with my wireless network.

    Dave

    DT, Aug 23, 2007
  6. DT

    Conor Guest

    As mentioned before, several key factors come into play. Basically,
    signal quality (not necessarily strength) and what other data is being
    transferred on the Wifi LAN at the time.

    Conor, Aug 23, 2007
  7. DT

    DT Guest

    I would assume that the signal quality is ok but I have no way of telling.
    The PC and Router are only about 4 meters from each other. There was no
    other data being transferred at the time I carried out the tests.

    Dave

    DT, Aug 23, 2007
  8. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    There wouldn't happen to be a plasterboard wall or ceiling between them,
    would there?

    Rob Morley, Aug 23, 2007
  9. DT

    DT Guest

    Yes, there is a plasterboard wall between them.

    Dave

    DT, Aug 23, 2007
  10. DT

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to
    hear...
    Foil-backed no doubt, attenuating the signal. Use ethernet.

    Jon, Aug 23, 2007
  11. DT

    DT Guest

    What's the point in having wireless if you connect by ethernet cable?

    The foil-backed plasterboard does not explain why if I connect an ethernet
    cable from my pc to one of the LAN ports on the router my download speed
    is between 13mb and 15mb. I can only achieve 20mb downloads if I connect the
    PC direct to the cable modem with an ethernet cable.

    At the weekend I might temporally move the router into the same room as the
    PC and see what sort of downloads I get then.

    Dave

    DT, Aug 23, 2007
  12. DT

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to
    hear...
    I never said there was a point.
    Of course it does. The wireless connection is much slower than an
    ethernet cable.
    okay.

    Jon, Aug 23, 2007
  13. DT

    DT Guest

    Maybe so, but I turned off the wireless connection and wired my PC to the
    router which in turn was wired to the cable modem, so why only 13mb and 15mb
    download?

    Dave

    DT, Aug 23, 2007
  14. DT

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to
    hear...
    So you have a separate cable modem and router? Is seems then that the
    router can't keep up.

    Jon, Aug 24, 2007
  15. DT

    comment Guest

    Cretin!

    comment, Aug 24, 2007
  16. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    Are you sure you were downloading from a server that would actually give
    you 20Mb/s? Are the cables in good condition, run without kinks or
    crushing, away from sources of electrical noise like fluorescent
    lighting etc? Duplex settings correct? Problem with packet filtering
    on the router?

    Rob Morley, Aug 24, 2007
  17. DT

    DT Guest

    It is beginning to look that way :-(

    Dave

    DT, Aug 24, 2007
  18. DT

    DT Guest

    The same source was used for when comparing the download speeds over the
    wireless network and when connected directly to the cable modem.

    All the cables are in a good condition and no kinks. No fluorescent
    lighting. Not sure what you mean by Duplex settings correct. As far as i'm
    aware there is no packet filtering.

    Also checked the back of the plasterboard and its not foil-backed.

    I've also been in touch with Netgear and they have suggested a few things to
    try but as yet none of the suggestions have worked.

    Dave

    DT, Aug 24, 2007
  19. DT

    Gordy Guest

    The short answer is wireless isnt really as fast as it says it is on the
    box. I have the 20mbit service and manage about 8mb via line of site down an
    8m hallway to my laptop. Im pretty damn happy with 8mb and can shove a few
    gig down the line in a short amount of time to be pleased with.

    My main pc is connected via ethernet tho for the bulk of my downloading
    needs and doing thing like sending email as its very rare any packets go
    astray like they would on wireless.

    In short wireless is pretty handy but i wouldent like to be dependant on it
    due to it not allways being at 100% reliability which is a nightmare if your
    playing an online game regulary or sending/recieving half important emails
    or talking on msn or simmilar without the odd sentance going astray.

    Gordy

    Gordy, Aug 25, 2007
  20. DT

    Rob Morley Guest

    It was a wild stab in the dark. If the router was running duplex while
    the modem was running simplex, or vice versa, you'd get a lot of
    collisions. I expect all of this sort of hardware runs duplex by
    default these days, so probably irrelevant anyway.

    Rob Morley, Aug 25, 2007