(not George Preddy) What is really wrong with Sigmas?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gene Palmiter, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. But how much interpolation are you using in the above statement?

    John McWilliams, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Gene Palmiter

    tekfull Guest

    You have never adjusted anything so how would you know. You need a
    camera to be able to take pics.

    tekfull, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Gene Palmiter

    tekfull Guest

    lol funny gp

    tekfull, Jun 15, 2004
  4. It's likely that they've already exited the manufacturing of the SD10, and
    are now just trying to sell off inventory before they announce that they are
    leaving. Building for Kodak at least lets them keep using their
    infrastructure, but the volume is very low on the Kodak as well. Unless
    Foveon has a higher resolution sensor, and fast, the fat lady will be
    singing.

    I doubt if this whole DSLR thing was all that expensive for them. They
    basically used their SA body and glomped on the digital parts; you
    especially see this in the weird SD9 battery configuration. When they
    started the SD program there was no 10D or 300D. If Canon hadn't passed
    Foveon so quickly in sensors then maybe Sigma would have been successful.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Okay, let's drop it. Peter realizes his mistake.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 15, 2004
  6. Gene Palmiter

    Big Bill Guest

    Heretic!

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 15, 2004
  7. Gene Palmiter

    Big Bill Guest

    And you wonder why I say that you yourself say that the Sigmas
    interpolate?
    You just said it again.

    I really suggest that whoever reads this stuff to you explain that
    *we* read what you say, even if you can't.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 15, 2004
  8. Gene Palmiter

    Big Bill Guest

    How would you know?
    According to you, you've never used a Sigma SDx camera, since they
    interpolate.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 15, 2004
  9. Gene Palmiter

    Crownfield Guest

    ever been to IN-n-OUT , or FATBURGER?

    Crownfield, Jun 15, 2004
  10. Gene Palmiter

    Alan D-W Guest

    But apart from those minor considerations, by god, he's a wonderful
    photographer, as this image, from his pbase albums, clearly demonstrates:

    http://www.pbase.com/image/29304545

    Alan D-W, Jun 15, 2004
  11. Gene Palmiter

    E. Magnuson Guest

    Over in the Sigma forum in dpreview, there is a partial translation of
    an interview with Sigma that states that they are working on another
    DSLR. No details on sensor, dates, or other features except to watch
    for official announcements (i.e., don't believe any rumours.) This is
    reasonably consistent if they are following the same 12-18 month
    replacement cycle as Canon/Nikon.
    Neither you now I know how Sigma defines success. Based on some old
    year 2000 numbers for total sales (from the Sigma website) and a
    ballbark estimate of 1000 cameras a month worldwide (based on serial
    number trends on pbase images), DSLRs may now be about 10% of Sigma
    total sales. (This does not count any additional SA lens sales or
    accessories.) I can't see them giving up this amount of revenue on
    a high-prestige product unless they are losing a *lot* of money.

    The whole "Sigma is bailing" rumour seems to have started with
    Thom Hogan. Can you point to any credible concurring information?

    E. Magnuson, Jun 15, 2004
  12. My original post was not ridiculous, just the assumptions made as to
    the meaning were what is ridiculous. The analogy was very good -
    market share is not a measure of quality. That's all it was. If you
    and others want to read too much into the statement, as has been done,
    I suggest you have the cup of coffee.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jun 15, 2004
  13. No mistake and thank you, I can speak for myself. Of course, you are
    the all-knowing one who assumes to know Sigma's future plans for DSLR
    development so maybe you know how I feel. Nah!

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jun 15, 2004
  14. I don't even think I've heard of either. Where might one find them?

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jun 15, 2004
  15. LOL!

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jun 15, 2004
  16. Gene Palmiter

    Big Bill Guest

    Big Bill, Jun 15, 2004
  17. Gene Palmiter

    JPS Guest

    In message <150620040519463459%>,
    I may be mistaken, but I've always been under the impression that
    Rolls-Royce cars are expensive because of luxury concerns and
    status-symbol, and are actually poor quality cars, with a high rate of
    in-shop repairs.

    JPS, Jun 16, 2004
  18. I don't know for sure about the quality of RR, but I don't think it is
    far-fetched to think that hand-built cars are not made with the
    precision that an automobile on a high-tech assembly line is. VW now
    owns the Bentley line and I suspect that they have improved quality
    much like Ford did for Jaguar when they took control of the company.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jun 16, 2004
  19. Gene Palmiter

    Skip M Guest

    SoCal, and they are the best around here. I won't say anything against
    All-American or any one else out side the area, I haven't tried them. But
    In-n-Out and Fatburger are pretty much the end of the discussion in SoCal...

    Skip M, Jun 16, 2004
  20. Gene Palmiter

    Crownfield Guest

    California chains, easily found around la county.

    Crownfield, Jun 16, 2004