  1. Agent_C

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Why would you get clogged heads from printing discs?

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Agent_C

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Yes I agree. I have a HP 2210 all-in-one and it is a good solid
    printer, albeit expensive to run.

    I had hoped that the way of the future would be the Canon s400. It had
    separate ink tanks, plus replaceable print head, which could be replaced
    with a scanner head, or with an alternative for photo-quality printing.
    The replacement carrier with print head was reasonably priced,
    complete with set of tanks, for only about 20% more than for the tanks
    alone, so gave the best of both worlds should the print head become
    clogged. Unfortunately the heads in their later printers, although
    replaceable, are not readily available and are claimed to last the life
    of the printer (whatever that is supposed to mean.)

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Agent_C

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    I can buy a $600 HP and play high end 3D games on it. Your El
    Cheapo Dell offering couldn't even play the original Quake without
    hiccuping all along the way.

    One gets what one pays for.

    HP of old had SOME problems (nowhere near like say a Packard Bell
    machine), but their current offerings are pretty good and quite
    stable.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Agent_C

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    It was a reference to Epson's designs, if I read him right.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 8, 2006
  5. Agent_C

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Yes, that was what I thought too, just wondering why he thought that.

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 8, 2006
  6. Agent_C

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Are cannon's heads part of the printer or cartridge?

    Anyway, maybe it is like my Epson experience. If one doesn't use it
    every day, the jets dry up, and the prints suffer badly.

    Daily use is a cure, but I don't use daily.

    I also buy the more expensive models. I REQUIRE B size capacity.
    Thing is, I don't use it too often. It just needs to be there when I
    do need it. Every single jet has to fire.

    I feel that my $400 HP was priced just fine. It is dead silent, and
    very fast. Not even the new model, which my boss bought after my
    recommendation (engineers need B size at least). The new one is even
    better, and has even better cartridges I think.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 8, 2006
  7. Agent_C

    TB Guest

    You can get it at most art / craft supply stores. Some big box home repair
    stores like Home Depot carry it too.

    T.B.

    TB, Feb 8, 2006
  8. And went one step further. I invested in an automatic fill system
    where bottles of ink sit beside the printer. Cost for an Epson
    200/300 is equal to about 4 packs of ink >RETAIL< - but you can
    find it cheaper.

    The amount of ink in the auto-fill system is equivalent to about
    $900.

    On my Cannon - I perform a lot of printing and much is double-sided
    text - that I started buying the refill ink in 8 ounce bottles.

    The four ounce bottles were good for about 6 refills and I went
    through two set of those.

    If you want to see that they have try:

    http://wwww.inkproductc.com.

    Good people. I had a cyan cartridge stop flowing and they found
    the ink would thicken a bit - which is usually a sign of
    bacteria. So they gave me a cartridge to replace the one with the
    bad ink in it, another free cartridge, and took my 4 ounce cyan
    bottle that was 1/2 full and gave me an 8 ounce bottle in exchange.

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, Feb 8, 2006
  9. I wish Canon would wake up an sell the CD/DVD printing models in the US
    that are available in Europe and Oz.

    That's why I now have two printers - Canon for the duplex and the
    Epson for DVD printing.

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, Feb 8, 2006
  10. Agent_C

    Marty Guest

    Somewhere around Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:59:41 +0800, while reading
    alt.video.dvd.tech, I think I thought I saw this post from Oldus Fartus
    I have an old S750 that's like that. Still works very well. A couple of
    times, the colors got bad, and I removed the print head, cleaned it with
    alcohol and Qtips, and it worked fine after that. Very easy.

    I stopped buying original Canon ink long ago, and buy from ink4art when they
    had 40% off sales. Makes it so cheap that I've already saved enough to buy
    a new printer if I needed to, which I don't.

    Marty, Feb 8, 2006
  11. Agent_C

    NFord Guest

    Neither do I. I commonly go a week between uses,
    and have never had a problem (with the R300).

    NFord, Feb 8, 2006
  12. Agent_C

    Sandoz Guest

    The lightscribe burner came with the new desktop system I bought, so i
    bought some disks and tried it out...

    As far as I'm concerned, it entirely satisfied my primary purpose for using
    it--making a list of the tracks on the CD so I don't need to physically
    write them out on the disk. I could care whether it took 23 minutes, 2
    minutes, or 123 minutes to do this--I'm not part of the A.D.D. generation--I
    learned a long time ago the world will turn at it's own pace, not the one I
    expect it to.

    And c'mon, don't be so anal retentive--worry more about your fingerprints on
    the OTHER side of the disk where the actual content is, rather than a little
    smudge on the label side...

    Sandoz

    Sandoz, Feb 8, 2006
  13. Agent_C

    NFord Guest

    No doubt about that. This was a machine for my
    wife who uses it 50% for email, 45% for browsing,
    5% for letter writing. $160 is about right for that.

    OTOH, we have had many Compaqs over the years,
    starting with that "portable" that looked like a sewing
    machine, and with each one, I always swore I would
    never get another, but for some reason, I would, but
    this time, I mean it. I can only remember one HP, so
    I'm not being fair to them, even though that one was junik.

    My machine is a Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook. I love
    the widescreen display, all the media buttons, and just
    about everything else about it. I don't know if it will
    run Quake because programming eats up all my time.

    NFord, Feb 8, 2006
  14. Agent_C

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    So, you ARE a movie thief!

    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 8, 2006
  15. Agent_C

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 8, 2006
  16. Agent_C

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Part of the printer, but depending on the model may also be removable.
    I couldn't agree more.
    What is "B" size, I don't know the term? I assume it is a wide
    carriage, what we would call A3?

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 8, 2006
  17. Agent_C

    Sandoz Guest

    Look, I'm sorry you were born with a last name of "Fuchs", I'm sure it's
    caused quite a trauma for you over the years. My post was a polite and, I
    hope, informative rebuttal to the original poster's dissatisfaction with the
    lightscribe medium.

    Are you really such a pathetic control freak you feel the need to jump into
    every post like some kind of newsgroup decorum nazi with a need to make
    others conform to how you want everyone to obey and behave? From reading
    through some of your previous posts, it appears you are. Well, guess what,
    palzo? Ain't gonna happen....

    I'M CAPLOCK SHOUTING AND I DON'T KNOW WHY...! OH WAIT A SEC, YES I DO KNOW
    WHY, I THINK IT MIGHT ANNOY "ROY L. FUCHS."

    SANDOZ

    Sandoz, Feb 8, 2006
  18. Agent_C

    Tonester Guest

    ...but if you'll notice, you did not get an XP disc with your Dell. If you
    ever have to reinstall, you're screwed.

    Tonester, Feb 8, 2006
  19. Agent_C

    if Guest

    On the Pixma, neither - the print head is a separate item that you install
    before adding the ink tanks. I don't know how much a replacement one costs
    but I hear they're fairly reasonable, and it follows from the above that
    you can fit it yourself rather than having to send it back for servicing as
    is the case with Epsons.

    if, Feb 8, 2006
  20. Agent_C

    NFord Guest

    I just checked ink4art.com for compatible ink for Epson.
    Their price is $46 plus $5 shipping for the color pack.

    At Buy.com, their price is $52, including shipping. Only
    $1 more for the original OEM ink!!

    Not much of a bargain at ink4art, considering it's not OEM.

    NFord, Feb 8, 2006