    tape head cleaner. It’s as though it’s also etched into the surface.

    What a rip. Once again, I’m the victim of hype...

    A_C

    Agent_C, Feb 7, 2006

  2. I use Sharpie markers for all my labeling. It's not as clean-looking
    as LightScribe, but I'd rather do that than track down the expensive
    LS blanks. I'd only use those for discs I plan to distribute to clients
    and need that "professional" look.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Agent_C

    NFord Guest

    IMO, the Epson Photo R300 printer with DVD/CD tray
    and hub-printable DVDs and CDs are a combo that can't
    be beat.

    Cheap, too. (At least the printer and discs are. The inks
    are a different subject, but cost per disc is still reasonable.)

    NFord, Feb 7, 2006

  4. Is that 23 mins less that you player has to live?

    Fish! - THE Aristocrat., Feb 7, 2006
  5. Agent_C

    SBFan2000 Guest

    I could have told you not to buy HP products. (except printers) I work in
    the computer industry and HP is not well thought of unless its a printer.
    Their computers and computer components suck big time. I personally had two
    cd burners from HP that both went bad days after the warranty was up and I
    have heard/seen countless other horror stories about there computer
    equipment. Their printers, both laser (which i service) and Inkjets (I
    don't service) are tops.

    Glenn

    (I don't work for HP, but for a service company that services their lasers)

    SBFan2000, Feb 7, 2006
  6. Agent_C

    TB Guest

    :

    (snip)
    I agree. I actually use the even cheaper Epson R200 printer which can be had
    for well under 100 bucks. Once I print on a cdr or dvdr, I spray a light
    coat of Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic coating (#1303) on the printed surface
    and give it a few hours to dry. That completely protects and waterproofs the
    printing from any sort of smudges and light scratching. Uncoated, it *is*
    possible to smear Epson printed media weeks after it was originally printed
    with sloppy handling.

    One problem I have had, is generally the easiest to find printable media
    either dvd or cd is made by Memorex and I've had a huge percentage of these
    discs fail when data is burned to them. I've had much better luck with
    Verbatim but even those run about only 80%. I expect much better results
    from Taiyo Yuden media once I get my hands on some.

    The only downside to the printer itself is a new set of ink cartridges runs
    about 50 bucks, over 50% of the cost of the printer itself!

    T.B.

    TB, Feb 7, 2006
  7. Agent_C

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Hahaha.. several things. First DO NOT top post in Usenet.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-post

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

    Secondly HP makes many fine products, and their Agilent division
    makes many of the finest electronic engineering instrumentation in the
    world.

    Your "I work in the computer industry" is hardly a qualification for
    your remarks and barely offers any credence to your position.

    So, now we see. You don't "work in the computer industry" you are
    a friggin printer repair technician. That puts you on the fringes of
    the industry, at best.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 7, 2006
  8. Agent_C

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Surprised to hear you have had so many burning problems, what drive are you
    using. I use both the Pioneer 108 and 110D, with Ritek media! Beside the
    few coasters I had when I first got the drives and were learning how to use
    them, I have had 0 coasters. The 108 has hundreds of burns on it and the
    110D has about 200. In all those burns the only time I've pitch a disc is,
    if when I take the disc out, there was a hair or something on the disc and
    you can see the void where the laser couldn't get to the surface. Thats
    probably been about 20-25 discs in those hundreds of discs.

    SBFan2000, Feb 7, 2006
  9. Agent_C

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Where have you been? That is how the industry gets your money. The
    cartridges only hold about 30ml of material as well.

    If the original ink was available in bulk somewhere, I would be
    refilling my cartridges.

    I'd love to see their revenue numbers related to cartridge sales, and
    cost of manufacture over printer sales, and cost of manufacture.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 7, 2006
  10. Agent_C

    if Guest

    I don't understand the appeal of Lightscribe at all. I'd much rather have a
    full colour label than a b/w one, and from what the OP says using a printer
    is much quicker too. The inkjet printable disks are also cheap and readily
    available in most popular brands.

    I used to have that problem with an Epson using some types of glossy paper
    - the ink would take about an hour to dry! I now use a Canon Pixma and the
    exact same paper emerges from the printer already dry to the touch.
    Similarly, printed DVDs are instantly dry and can be put in their cases
    with no handling worries. The Pixma is a bit slow with DVDs - it chunters
    away for about a minute before you can even insert the disk tray - but it's
    still a lot faster than the 23 mins the OP quoted for a Lightscribe; I
    would say it takes the printer about 3 minutes to print a disk in all.
    Online shops are the best way to get a decent choice of brands. I'm using
    unbranded Ritek R03 printables, they're quite cheap and I've had no
    failures so far. I also have some TDK printable CDs, not cheap but the
    jewel cases are very nice, with zero hub pressure on the disk, and again no
    failures.
    I chose a Canon because the ink is cheap and you only have to replace the
    colour that's actually run out, unlike most makes!

    if, Feb 7, 2006
  11. Agent_C

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Actually, not that is any of your business, but I work for a Toshiba dealer
    repairing mainly Toshiba multifunction copiers. And not just replacing parts
    but also PCB (printed circuit board) troubleshooting and repair. I do
    mainly Toshiba, since that's what I'm trained and certified on, but I also
    do Hewlett Packard, Panasonic, Mita and Canon. On the side, when I have
    time, I also do networking installation and troubleshooting, not to mention
    computer repair and building custom machines for people that would rather
    have a machine with brand name components instead of the crap they put in
    bargain machines like Dell, HP, and Compaq. Oh yea, I have two degrees (one
    in Business and one in Microcomputers) in addition to my certifications to
    work on Toshiba machines. Perhaps you should have a clue before you show
    your own stupidity. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to
    open your mouth and remove all doubt.

    I speak from experience, I've had two HP CD-RWs and one computer that went
    bad just out of warranty. That's just my personal experience I've seen to
    much to mention in my business life but in just my family, friends and
    coworkers, I've built about 4-5 computers thanks to pissed off HP customers,
    and my aunt just left a message on my cell saying she's had enough of her HP
    and wants me to either recommend one or build her one. She's replaced just
    about every part of her machine. Power supply went first then shortly after
    that the hard drive went out. Then she did the video and sound cards about
    8 months apart. She also had to buy a recovery disc that was $9.99 for the
    disc and 24.95 for the shipping. $24.95 for shipping one CD!!!!

    One thing I will say about HP printers, their child's play compared to the
    work I do on Toshiba machines. They usually just need an adjustment or two,
    and they are always updating parts to increase there efficiency. For
    instance they recently put out a bulletin on one of their printers that they
    have reengineered a feed assembly to help eliminate jamming. This support
    and ease of troubleshooting is why I said their printers are great!

    As for the top posting, you'll notice I top posted this just for you. J

    SBFan2000, Feb 7, 2006
  13. Agent_C

    Agent_C Guest

    I hope you don't mind me saying, but that doesn't sound like a
    particularity informed opinion.

    HP is a very diverse company. They make some great products and some
    dogs as well.

    I love their desktop computers.

    A_C

    Agent_C, Feb 8, 2006
  14. Agent_C

    Alpha Guest

    Perhaps you should have a clue before you show

    You have encapsulated succinctly Roy L. Fuchs. He is notorious.

    Alpha, Feb 8, 2006
  15. Agent_C

    SBFan2000 Guest

    I hope you don't mind me saying, but that doesn't sound like a
    I don't mind you saying it but I've had a reasonable amount of experience
    and and unreasonable amount of trouble with HP computer products. I
    doesn't sound "informed" because you disagree, which is fine. If you
    haven't had problems I hope you never do. Maybe its just because I see alot
    more HP system than a single user with a single PC? I know I've seen many
    many HPs need replacement parts in about 1 year where as I just put my first
    part into my 3 year old custom built machine. And that was more of an
    upgrade (needed more power for my 6 hard drives and the 400watt PSU was
    failing to power all my hardware.)
    Yes they are, and let me clearify that my opinion was directed towards their
    computer products, which is where my experience lies. I don't have
    experience with their industrial engineering and measuring equipment and
    maybe those products are fine. They should be since they are being counted
    on as much as they are! But I stand behind my opinion of their computer
    products, seen WAY to many with problems.
    We have a difference in opinion, I've seen to many go bad. Which when it
    comes to my computer business is great, its made me a fair amount of $$.
    Find a good local shop and have them build you a system with brand name
    parts and you'll likely change your mind. You'll pay quite a bit more but
    you won't have to replace anything near as quickly. HP, Dell, Compaq,
    Gateway, and almost every other major manufacturer has cheap boards (video,
    sound, motherboards, etc) mass produced for nothing and thats why you can
    buy computers from dell (for example) for $299-$399. You get what you pay
    for!

    SBFan2000, Feb 8, 2006
  16. Agent_C

    Alpha Guest

    For very simple monochromatic labels, the Casio CD/DVD thermal printers work
    great and in about 3 seconds. The Lightscribe idea was always suspect.

    Alpha, Feb 8, 2006
  17. Agent_C

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    That I didn't even read your tripe post, and will continue to ignore
    your retarded ass.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 8, 2006
  18. Agent_C

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Swish!! The use of foul language is the sign of a small mind.

    SBFan2000, Feb 8, 2006
  19. Agent_C

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    That you are so retarded that you not only top posted your CRAP, you
    also double posted it.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 8, 2006
  20. Agent_C

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    You are an idiot. Your remarks carry all the credence of a dung
    beetle.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 8, 2006