    exposure up until the max allowable iso is hit.

    This keeps the aperture fixed but floats the iso as needed as the
    available light capture by your exposure subject changes.

    me, Jan 3, 2014

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Huh!
    If I said that was OOF, I certainly didn't mean to. I meant to say, WRT
    that image, that I had an issue with the right side of the eye blending
    into the shadow near the bill area. My comment was WRT your images in
    general, and then I made specific comments on each image.
    Please also note, that if my image is OOF, that doesn't put your's in focus.

    PeterN, Jan 3, 2014

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    I disagree. To me, the eye is the key to a good bird image. In your
    image is is almost non-existent
    OK now you reminded me. I should have said that some of the white
    feathers are not as sharp as I think they should be. Particularly those
    in shadow area.

    PeterN, Jan 3, 2014
  4. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Thanks.
    I tried that yesterday strictly as a test. The results were not great,
    but somewhat reasonable. When pushing things, I found that the minimum
    shtter speed adjustment didn't seem to hold. I am also testing varying
    the ISO using manual, with no limit on the ISO. However, when I get to
    the higher ISOs I will see noticable lack of tonal range. I may be using
    too high an ISO limit. Tomorrow I will limit the ISO to 2400, and
    minimum shutter speed to 1000, at f8, or less.

    PeterN, Jan 3, 2014
  5. PeterN

    me Guest

    You have to remember that unless you are using manual exposure mode
    the mode you are using will limit things. Meaning using as described
    the aperture priority exposure program raises the iso up to the limit
    specified. Given the fixed aperture the only thing further which can
    be done if this does not allow enough light to satisfy the exposure
    program is reduce the shutter speed. On the fly you can modify this by
    dialing in _EV exposure compensation which is then an input to the
    exposure program. specified.

    One alternative is to use shutter priority and set shutter speed., but
    you then lose control of the aperture. If you use full manual exposure
    you will keep aperture and shutter settings and float iso. However,
    this only provides a higher light level floor from your prescribed
    shutter and aperture settings. If you still need more light there is
    nothing the camera can adjust.

    me, Jan 3, 2014
  6. PeterN

    MC Guest

    And mine :eek:)

    MC

    MC, Jan 3, 2014
  7. PeterN

    MC Guest

    And mine :eek:)

    MC

    MC, Jan 3, 2014
  8. PeterN

    MC Guest

    I do not believe this. I think he is trying to make good from
    something that did NOT turn out how he envisaged.

    Again, I do not believe these images are what he originally set out to
    achieve. As I see it, and I am yet to be convinced otherwise, what he
    wants and what he ends up with seem to be two completely different
    things, even though he makes the excuse that it is what he wants.
    He is relying too much on post production and cropping. Anyone can
    fire up photoshop (or equivalent) and use a couple of plug-ins to try
    and create something they say they "intended" to create. It shows no
    skill at all and reeks of "clutching at straws" to try and produce
    something acceptable (albeit acceptable only to himself).

    MC

    MC, Jan 3, 2014
  9. PeterN

    MC Guest

    You are kidding, right?

    What/where were these "several" competitions, how many entrants were
    there in each and where can we see other entries for comparison. I
    have to ask this because no judge worth their salt would have commended
    or even placed the first image.

    The second image is far from pin sharp and seems to have had a tad to
    much noise reduction. I would be surprised if this was given runner up
    status unless there was very little competition.

    MC

    MC, Jan 3, 2014
  10. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Don't be too quick to judge.

    I don't know what competitions Peter enters, but my camera club has
    competitions in three categories: Color A, Color B, Monochrome, and
    Creative. A person can enter two images, and an average Competition
    night will have from 60 to over 100 entries.

    Professional photographers, and we have many in the club, must enter
    Color A. Color B, Monochrome, and Creative are open to all others.
    Any photo with significant alteration in post, or photos that are
    composites of more than one original photo, must be in Creative.

    The tack-sharp bird photos are in Color A, and if the bird has a
    caterpillar in its beak, you better be able to count the legs. Many
    of the non-pros in Color B submit images equally well done.

    Anything goes in Creative. I'd rate Peter's shot as right up there
    with most of the entries in this group, and could well have been the
    winner on some nights. In Creative, it's not necessarily what you
    might like in a photo, but how well the photographer has done what the
    photographer was going for. "Impact" is the major grading point.

    I have a certain appreciation for Creative shots because I'm unable to
    do it. It seems like it would be simple to do something creative, but
    it isn't. You can take any photograph and go wild with the sliders
    and the filters and come up with something, but you have to come up
    with something that other people relate to.

    I entered Creative once. With this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq1tpnwimd0kjwt/2012-10-26-4.jpg
    It was in Creative because I used a radial blur and significantly
    altered the image because the figure on the right's eyes were closed
    and I brought in the eyes from a completely different photograph of
    the same person and changed the position of the irises. It didn't
    place well. Top-middle.

    I challenge you to come up with a Creative shot yourself. Try to do
    something bizarre that you like. See if the others here like it.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 4, 2014
  11. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/3/2014 3:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    Although I never worked for any delivery service, except for Western
    Union as a kid, pushing envelopes has been a recurrent theme in my life.
    (And not only photographic envelopes.

    PeterN, Jan 4, 2014
  12. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    I have ny recently started using auto ISO. While I think I understand
    the basic theory, I still have to understand how it works in the real world.

    PeterN, Jan 4, 2014
  13. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    And my Army training (MP)
    And another gubbmint enforcement job

    PeterN, Jan 4, 2014
  14. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Nope. Not all my imagesdo well. Indeed far from it. However, after a
    portfolio evaluation, I have been invited to compete for the privilege
    of displaying some of my images in a gallery. It is a legitimate
    competition. No entry fee, and no gallery fee. The truth is that I am
    struggling for improvement. I know I have a tendency to overprocess in
    post, and am fighting that.

    Having
    That image was a deliberate exaggeration that was intended to be a
    characterized image of the cattle egrets. I made another version where I
    used Fratcills, but do not have it here. I have no concern that some
    don't like the effects.

    BTW here is one where i used that program for a different effect.
    In this image I used the trial version:
    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/6Nubble impression.jpg>

    Surprise! What can I say.
    You are looking at a low quality jpeg.

    PeterN, Jan 4, 2014
  15. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    I wish I was one hundredth as good as those guys. But, i do strive for
    my individuality, and accept the lack of general acceptance that comes
    with it.
    I still have a lot of technique to learn.

    PeterN, Jan 4, 2014
  16. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    My CC has an anything goes policy. We have print categories monochrome &
    color. Groups B, A, & AA. We have digital B, A & AA and creative.
    Members are permitted to submit up to three images in each category. I
    am in group A, in all classes. Our creative group is for submissions
    that contain altered reality. since altered reality images are permitted
    in any other category, it is up to the maker to decide whether the image
    will go into his regular group, or creative.
    As to how well my images do, you may Google Syosset Camera Club,
    Viewfinder.

    PeterN, Jan 4, 2014
  17. PeterN

    Whiskers Guest

    Not so rapidly that you can't monitor it and to some extent predict it.
    I don't know what "getting the blinkies" means, but talking about "1.7
    underexposure" suggests to me that you are using automatic exposure, not
    a manual setting. Automation is OK with average subjects for which you
    are content with average results, but your subjects are far from
    average.

    Whiskers, Jan 4, 2014
  18. PeterN

    Whiskers Guest

    Both those people worked very hard at understanding their materials and
    perfecting basic technique. One of them went mad.

    The fundamental work of Ansel Adams on assessing light and shade and
    determining exposure to achieve a desired result, is well worth learning
    about - even if only via simplified explanations. The "zone system" he
    devised may not be directly transferable to hand-held digital cameras,
    but the underlying approach certainly is.

    Whiskers, Jan 4, 2014
  19. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    People just aren't going to understand, Peter, that not everyone's
    goal is the tack-sharp image that exactly replicates nature.

    I don't particularly like the image you've linked to above. It's not
    a style that I'd go for under any circumstances. I'm not going to
    knock it, though, because I understand that what you and I go for are
    two completely different things.

    Success for both of us is an image that we look at feel good about
    having taken and processed. It's nice to have someone else admire it,
    but it's not necessary.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 4, 2014
  20. PeterN

    me Guest

    Just remember the autoiso programming loop is running inside the
    exposure programming loop.

    me, Jan 4, 2014