  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Thanks.

    PeterN, Jan 3, 2014

  2. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    He failed to point the camera in the right direction. That's
    judgment, not skill.

    You could say that spotting a photographable scene is a skill, but
    this is one instance where he didn't look for something interesting.
    Any judgment about his overall skill in spotting the photographable
    would have be based on a larger sample.

    Remember John Sisker? He couldn't spot a good photograph if Matthew
    Brady's ghost was whispering in his ear. That's a judgment made about
    a series of photos, not just one.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 3, 2014

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    I admit frustration with whit on my birds, and that to me it is
    important to show feather detail on birds. It is not easy, which is why
    I am obsessed with that. My obsession with feathers is certainly not
    incompatible with my passion for the impression. I would like to please
    you and others, but not at the expense of not pleasing myself.
    As to the poor quality, there are several reasons, that are not being
    offered as excuses.

    1. Extreme crops.
    2. User error. (my screw ups.)
    3. I am having exposure issues.
    4. I am presenting highly condensed jpegs.

    I use high ISO and most noise doesn't bother me. At least not even a
    fraction of how it seems to bother you. There are artifacts in the high
    compression, and I am not optimally rezixing. Just using the basic
    resize in Photoshop. for presentations and competitions, I use Perfect
    Resizee.

    PeterN, Jan 3, 2014
  4. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    You've gone to the opposite extreme. No detail at all. No images, in
    fact.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 3, 2014
  5. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    You might want to tone that sarcasm about the need for an optomerist
    [sic] down a bit and stop to think if I would make a comment like that
    without sufficient reason.

    Here's a screen shot of what the link loaded for me:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8lkmlz5bg3i1xs/Blank.jpg

    As far as I can tell, it's six pure white birds in a heavy fog.

    Dropbox is acting up for me tonight. It doesn't even want to load
    those individual links. It won't connect to any of them. I don't
    know if the problem is at my end or with Dropbox. Maintenance, maybe?

    Tony Cooper, Jan 3, 2014
  6. PeterN

    Sandman Guest

    Not sure what that has to do with anything...

    Sandman, Jan 3, 2014
  7. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I just tried it again and got the same blank page. I'll try it in the
    morning.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 3, 2014
  8. PeterN

    Sandman Guest

    Sandman, Jan 3, 2014
  9. PeterN

    charles Guest

    I got a delayed load on the page. First blank, then after several
    seconds the photos loaded. Something going on with the site,
    perchance.

    Using Win 7 and Chrome.

    charles, Jan 3, 2014
  10. PeterN

    Sandman Guest

    I wasn't answering any question of yours either. The constructive comment
    is "less post". Few photos are perfect without any post, but tryibng to
    save a blurry photo with unsharp mask or crank the contrast up way too high
    rarely makes for a good end result.
    How "wealthy" am I now again?
    I don't have a 500mm lens.
    Whose mocking who, now again?

    The point is that the shot at 300mm with your 70-200 lens would have been
    perfect at 200mm and just some more cropping. Your camera can handle a
    shitload of cropping, and loosing the speed with the TC isn't worth it.

    Sandman, Jan 3, 2014
  11. PeterN

    Whiskers Guest

    The trick with a hand-held meter is to use it before you want to take
    the photo; discover what the meter readings are in different directions,
    and adjust for 'contre jour' conditions and shade and so on, then all
    you need do as a shot presents itself is to set the aperture (or the
    sensor ISO) accordingly while you're framing and focussing. You can do
    the same trick to get the focussing distances to various spots too - in
    your case, likely perches. Lighting conditions rarely change
    unpredictably and so quickly that such methods let you down - and of
    course, the more you do it the better at it you become.

    Naturally, what makes the 'right' exposure for your purposes won't
    necessarily be the same as what I or anyone else would choose. But
    whatever your style or intentions, a good solid repeatable technical
    foundation will make life easier.

    Whiskers, Jan 3, 2014
  12. PeterN

    Whiskers Guest

    The clue is probably in that little note about 'dropbox needs
    javascript'. Enable javascript and re-load the page.

    Whiskers, Jan 3, 2014
  13. PeterN

    Whiskers Guest

    [...]
    Nice neighbours! Number 4 looks as though it has a price tag on the
    right leg.

    Whiskers, Jan 3, 2014
  14. PeterN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    The page loads for me OK this morning. #6 looks like the saturation
    was boosted several thousand percent, though. The eye is weird, and
    there's a prominent halo around the beak tip.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 3, 2014
  15. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    True, but still not as good as Perfect Resize.
    Especially for times when I resize from a res of 350 down to 72 or 96.

    To my eye, they look OOF where they shouldn't be.

    PeterN, Jan 3, 2014
  16. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Head and eyes in both are OOF.
    the dark shadow bewteen the base of the beak and right side f the eye is
    much too dark. The white feathers are a tad blurry.

    Beak is OOF
    the enitre bird is OOF. There is little detail in the feathers.
    Same as above.

    Here is closer to what I am looking for. But the top of his head is
    still lost detail.

    Don't think it's Tony that has vision issues, if you htink those are
    sharp. Again, I am working on a small screen, but they still look as
    described above.

    PeterN, Jan 3, 2014
  17. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Seems to be working fine for me.

    PeterN, Jan 3, 2014
  18. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    Nor should you. As you ae aware, I am far from bashful, and have a
    pretty thick skin.
    Yes I feel good when others like my images. But, I do not want, or need
    false praise. when you don't like something I produce, I hope you tell
    me how you feel, and more importantly, why.
    It takes a lot of effort to be critical, and the effort is appreciated.
    Also, please don't take my rebuttal as a personal thing.

    PeterN, Jan 3, 2014
  19. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    I try to do that.
    \early morning light has a bad habit of changing rapidly, as does
    evening light.

    there is no question that I am having some exposure issues. This morning
    I was getting the blinkies with a 1.7 underexposure, when someone who
    was shooting right next to me was not, using .3 underexposure. I
    suspect what the issue is, and will try to correct it this evening.

    PeterN, Jan 3, 2014
  20. PeterN

    me Guest

    Art is in the eye of the beholder, but sometimes you just wonder. In a
    local paper here:

    02 January 2014 | 11:49 AM
    Local nature photographer places in national contest
    Posted to: 2013 Great Backyard Bird Count photo contest Stuart
    McCausland

    Three cheers for Stuart McCausland who has won second place in the
    composition catergory of the 2013 Great Backyard Bird Count photo
    contest.

    http://media.hamptonroads.com/cache/files/images/blogs/177611.jpg

    “Congratulations!” the judges wrote to McCausland. “On behalf of the
    Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Audubon, and Bird Studies Canada, I am
    delighted to inform you that your haunting image of a hazy river with
    a Great Blue Heron and a crow won second place in the composition
    category of the 2013 Great Backyard Bird Count photo contest!

    “I am attaching a certificate you can print to commemorate this
    achievement,” the judges went on. “And believe me, it is an
    achievement! We had nearly 7,000 images entered into the contest and,
    as always, it was agonizing to try to narrow down the choices. But you
    made the cut!”

    McCausland, who lives in Brigadoon in Virginia Beach, took his photo
    in Brigadoon Community Park, not far from his home.

    Just goes to show there’s no place like home for a great photo.

    me, Jan 3, 2014