NORTON - VERY LONG START UP (BOOT) TIME.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by its_my_dime, May 4, 2006.

  1. its_my_dime

    its_my_dime Guest

    Windows XP. SP 2. Ample memory and HD space. Registry cleaned. HD
    Defragged. Temp. files deleted. etc.
    Full virus/trojan scans with several different pieces of software. All
    automatic upgrades turned OFF. No strange programs in the Start up file.
    Have also run sfc /scannow.

    Norton 2006 Internet Security (with NAV) and Norton 2006 System Works, both
    installed.

    It seems to take forever for the computer to fully boot up when turned on.
    The Norton Protection Center icon (lower right) flashes for about 2 minutes.
    I have removed (with Symantec's removal tool) all Norton stuff and
    reinstalled it in clean boot mode.

    The problem seems to be with NIS because loading NSW second doesn't extend
    the boot time.

    Does anybody else have a similar problem?

    Is there some sort of software conflict I don't know about?

    Thanks you.

    its_my_dime, May 4, 2006

  2. its_my_dime

    Evan Platt Guest

    Norton is bloatware.

    Install any of the alternatives, you'll be just as happy. I use Avast
    Anti-virus, and Kerio Personal firewall, both free.

    Evan Platt, May 4, 2006

  3. its_my_dime

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya its_my_dime.

    Nuff said.

    Ponder, May 4, 2006
  4. You probably set it to scan your entire hard drive upon bootup.

    Really a bad move. ;-)

    To fully un-install Norton bloatapplication, you will need to do much
    more than Add/Remove Programs. See:

    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039>

    ...and you need to use Internet Exploder.

    As Even said, use Avast and Kerio.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 4, 2006
  5. its_my_dime

    its_my_dime Guest

    Thanks: I used the removal tool plus did a regedit and a search for files
    and directories for the words NORTON and SYMANTEC.. all of which I deleted.

    The software is specifically NOT set to do any scanning on boot, only to
    turn on.

    Other thoughts?

    its_my_dime, May 4, 2006
  6. its_my_dime

    Mara Guest

    You shouldn't want *any* of Norton's crapware anywhere. GAH. It's crapware, and
    it's also ineffective.
    Did you check in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and make sure
    everything Symantec stuffed in there was disabled? How about in msconfig?

    "Then uninstall. Then clean."

    Mara, May 5, 2006
  7. its_my_dime

    Plato Guest