Norton System Works ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John D, May 16, 2004.

  1. John D

    John D Guest

    I know that Norton's software is bloated and a bunch of junk but my friend
    likes it so any advice will be appreciated. I have searched all over
    Norton's site with no solution..

    He has a Dell Inspiration laptop and it came with Norton AV 2002 installed
    and worked for the full subscription time of 1 year. When it ran out and
    after awhile he bought Norton SystemWorks 2004 and installed that. It worked
    ok for a couple of months. Then it wouldn't connect to the update center. He
    believes that he caught the Sasser worm and he went thru the steps to clean
    it. Norton SystemWorks 2004 still wouldn't connect and download the files.
    So he cleaned out 2004 and bought Norton SystemWorks 2003 and installed
    that. It installed fine, but the same problem. Unable to connect to the
    server and it points to an ISP problem. He gets on his internet browser and
    gets his e-mail just fine. Is there a setting or something in the Norton
    software that we are overlooking ?

    He has Verizon DSL and WinXP Home.

    Also any recommendations for another AV software to install.

    John D, May 16, 2004

  2. John D

    Ryan 8088 Guest

    Get him to try to ping the live update
    server. That's a good place to start.
    in message

    Ryan 8088, May 16, 2004

  3. John D

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, May 16, 2004
  4. John D

    Buffalo Guest

    Go to the Symantec web site.
    You can also update manually using the Inellegent Updater feature on their
    site.

    Buffalo, May 17, 2004
  5. John D

    John D Guest

    Failed there also.

    I did find this info that someone posted for another persons problem and
    tried it and it cleaned several infected files and the live update is
    working just fine now.

    Thanks all for your help.

    John D, May 18, 2004
  6. John D

    John D Guest

    Sorry, here is the info.!

    This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger.
    It will scan your system for 41 known viruses and trojans (including the new
    W32/Sasser.worm.e) and repair them. You don't need McAfee anti-virus
    installed on your computer... this is a stand alone program.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    John D, May 18, 2004
  7. John D

    Buffalo Guest