Norton System Works, "Scanner not installed" message... AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fred, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    A while back someone posted this problem. I tried all the suggested
    fixes
    To re-iterate, here's the problem...

    Norton Systemworks, 2003; WINDOWS 98 OR XP; trying to use the One
    Button Checkup, I get the message "scanner not installed".

    I tried a COMPLETE uninstall suggested by someone in this group -
    using the Norton special progs, purging the reg of all references,
    etc...

    I even scoured Symantecs (mis)info base - got a stack of material
    about an inch thick, and digested it all. Agagin, did several
    unistalls reg purges, etc.. - but alas no success..

    Must I resort to c:\format?

    Thanks,
    Fred Klein

    Fred, Jun 15, 2004

  2. The fix:

    Uninstall completely, find your manual and disk. Break the disk in half,
    then repeat three times out loud "I will not buy Norton products because
    they are garbage." Repeat three times remember.

    Try Sophos or McAfee (though that's not much better). There are some free
    scanners out there too. Learn how to not get infected and only scan
    periodically or when needed. Anything that runs all the time will cause
    problems over time.

    Sparky Polastri, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Fred

    Boomer Guest

    Is this the information you read, that was posted here?

    Maybe a clue here?
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=327612

    Why not just get rid of any/all Norton software on your HD?

    Boomer, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Fred

    Brian Guest

    !OMFG!
    we all know that norten eats up the system. but what you just said "scan
    periodically" and not all the time.. is pure rubbish... he probably has got
    something already which has disabled norten...ever heard of a daemon
    process..Disk And Execution MONitor? which all security suites use....
    should he get 20 viruses a week and crash 7 times.. before he reinstalls
    windows and get the same junk again? the only thing of interest what you
    said is to use a different scanner!.. FRED norten do have a uninstall tool
    for 2003 (a windows uninstall doesn't do the job) on their site if you have
    look... and then use various other online scanners to have a look at your
    system before reinstalling norton...

    Brian, Jun 15, 2004