    I am using ZA (free) and am wondering if Norton Personal Firewall 2004 would
    be a good investment, or just a waste of money?

    Thank you

    CB, Sep 27, 2003

  2. CB

    Pete Guest

    I've no personal experience with Norton PF 2004, but I would encourage you
    to check out Kerio Personal Firewall, info at http://www.kerio.com .

    It's free and very powerful. See what you think.

    Regards,

    Pete.

    IRC = irc.progameplayer.com #agut2003
    PGP Public Key ID = 98ED9C55

    Pete, Sep 27, 2003

  3. CB

    Lord Shaolin Guest

    CB <> randomly produced:

    :: I am using ZA (free) and am wondering if Norton Personal Firewall
    :: 2004 would be a good investment, or just a waste of money?
    ::
    :: Thank you

    Anything but Norton.

    Norton/McAfee probably the worst of the lot technically.

    Kerio/Tiny/Outpost/ZA Pro etc..

    All good.

    Check here: http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8146

    --
    Get your Geek Goodies!
    http://shop.security-forums.com

    ..: http://www.security-forums.com :.

    Share your knowledge
    It's a way to achieve
    Immortality.

    Lord Shaolin, Sep 27, 2003
  4. CB

    Chas_G Guest

    I have seen that a number of the group don't like Norton. I am using Norton PF
    & AV.
    I would be very interested to learn why people are so against it!

    Many thanks

    Regards,

    Chas_G

    Chas_G, Sep 27, 2003
  5. CB

    Lord Shaolin Guest

    Chas_G <> randomly produced:

    :: In article <Kvgdb.1845$9.net>,
    :: [email protected] says...
    ::: CB <> randomly produced:
    :::
    ::::: I am using ZA (free) and am wondering if Norton Personal Firewall
    ::::: 2004 would be a good investment, or just a waste of money?
    :::::
    :::
    ::: Anything but Norton.
    :::
    :: I have seen that a number of the group don't like Norton. I am
    :: using Norton PF & AV.
    :: I would be very interested to learn why people are so against it!
    ::
    :: Many thanks
    ::
    :: Regards,
    ::
    :: Chas_G

    There have been a number of issues with Norton that have been discovered and
    gone unheeded.

    For example the way it deals with LSR

    Also the AV software isn't fantastic, its good for the average joe user but
    it's not particularly technically strong (heuristics are poor, dealing with
    archives is poor, resource hungry etc.)

    And just generally there ARE better products out there.

    Lord Shaolin, Sep 27, 2003
  6. Certainly a waste of money.
    Please tell a little more, e.g. which operating system you use.

    To protect agains malware doesn't mean just installing a security
    software - it's more to do:

    - Careful choice of software (browser, mail program, messenger)
    e.g. "Internet Explorer" with its Active Scripting (JScript, VBScript)
    and Active X is a safety risk.
    - Be careful with executables (especially from dubios sources - don't
    execure them).
    - Additionally take a qualitatively good anti virus software like Kaspersky.

    Torti Schlumpf, Sep 27, 2003
  7. CB

    Chas_G Guest

    So what personal firewall and AV do you consider the best software for XP which
    will work well together?

    Thanks.

    Regards,

    Chas_G

    Chas_G, Sep 27, 2003
  8. CB

    Virus Guest

    Virus, Sep 28, 2003
  9. CB

    Tony Martin Guest

    ftp://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/texts/tests/pc-av/2003-
    Talk is cheap look at the facts and make up your
    own mind.

    Tony Martin, Sep 28, 2003
  10. CB

    Lord Shaolin Guest

    Well for Antivirus I would personally go for Kaspersky as I feel it's the
    most technically capable AV solution.

    It's not for beginners though, for novices or intermediate I'd suggest
    F-Prot or NOD32.

    As for a firewall I'd suggest Tiny 2.0x series for advanced users or for a
    more current solution Sygate Pro or Outpost Pro.

    HTH

    Shaolin

    Lord Shaolin, Sep 28, 2003