    Norton ISS came installed on the machine and I renewed my subscription
    the just last month so I would appreciate any help to solve this
    problem.

    eacantdraft, Jul 28, 2006

  2. eacantdraft

    me Guest

    Best solution would be to dump Norton Bloatware and use one of the several
    free antivirus and firewall programs out there which are better and less of
    a drain on your pc's rescources.

    me, Jul 28, 2006

  3. eacantdraft

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya .

    Well as you insist on paying for this crap I'd suggest contacting
    Symantec Support. You'll only get the piss taken in here ;)

    Ponder, Jul 28, 2006
  4. eacantdraft

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/index.html

    Technical support, Live Update [link]

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jul 29, 2006
  5. eacantdraft

    Plato Guest

    If Norton NIS doesnt' work for you then get rid of it and use the many
    free anti-virus and free firewall apps out there.

    Plato, Jul 30, 2006
  6. The problem definitely is Norton ISS®. As others have suggested. It is
    known to drag (slow down) even the newest, fastest PC's. That's where your
    first problem was before you reformatted your hard drive. I'll bet you
    anything your system will be slow even after all that. I know from
    experience. I would start looking for a different ISS.

    You may be able to get a refund on your Norton® if you contact Symantec®.
    Check their refund policy if they even have one. That way you won't eat the
    cost.

    As others have suggested there are plenty of good Firewalls and AV programs
    to download for free. Here is a site that can help.

    http://www.download.com/Security-Spyware/2001-2023_4-0.html?tag=dir

    I would stay away from the new Zone Alarm Security Suite®. I have found out
    that it contains quite a few bugs in it. I couldn't access my Homepage, for
    one example. I had it set to http://www.rr.com . The stand alone firewall
    probably works fine.
    My ISP
    gives us CA's (Computer Associates) eTrust EZ Armor® suite along with our
    subscription free for a year. It's a retail version of Zone Alarm® (only
    the virus defs come from CA?). That one worked fine with my homepage.
    (But then every one seems to be giving this product away. Is it because it's
    that bad? Are they trying to lure you into a lifetime of service from them?)
    Hmmm.... Is there some sort of conspiracy going on here?

    I usually get a different ISS when the 1 year subscription runs out on my
    old one anyway. I try and shop around for the one that's best for me.

    My free period on the eTrust EZ Armor® ended and I am now using McAfee
    Internet Security Suite®. It doesn't seem to slow me down, was decently
    priced, and is easy to use. It's not 100% effective. But, I don't think any
    ISS is.

    One of the features I like is you can buy a subscription version for one
    year. If there is a major upgrade (a new retail version becomes available)
    and you are in your subscription period. You get the upgrade at no cost.

    http://us.mcafee.com/

    You can use it with some of the free adware/spyware scanners for even better
    protection (just in case McAfee missed something). Such, as AdAware®, or
    Spybot Search & Destroy®. You can find those on the Download site as well.

    Good Luck. :)

    Randall Smith, Jul 30, 2006