Norton Holding My Computer Hostage!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jun 14, 2004.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, yesterday when I tried to import my OE6 messages from an old to a new
    computer, about 30 seconds after I started the official import process,
    Norton Internet Security 2004 took over and said it had configured by
    anti-spam settings and it was going to restart OE6 for me!! I did not give
    it permission to do this, and had even disabled NIS before doing the
    import!!! I had the spam filter totally turned off on Norton. It inserted an
    anti-spam folder in my mail box.

    The problem is by doing above, Norton interrupted my OE6 import, and I had
    to start over again, resulting in tons of my messages being duplicated from
    the partial and then full import.

    So I deleted all my .dbx files and started again, but as soon as I did this,
    Norton interrupted again and configured my anti-spam settings.

    So I had to uninstall Norton to do the OE6 import. Then reinstall it. Of
    course, as soon as I opened OE6, Norton once again took over and did its
    anti-spam routine.

    Then, Norton installed a toolbar on my IE6 browser, and I couldn't remove
    it. Deselecting it from "View" only dims it! So I had to uninstall Norton
    once again!

    I have had it with Norton. Before I reinstall it again, is there any other
    Anit-Virus program that is free that functions as well as NAV, including
    Live Updates? Or is there a way to prevent the hostage-taking that occurred
    above?

    thanks!

    J.

    Julie P., Jun 14, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    If you install it again, it's going to do the same things. That's because
    that is what it was written to do. It is possible to install *only* the
    antivirus portion of that Internet Security suite you have. It's much less
    "invasive". Insert the CD, cancel the autostarted install stuff. Use Windows
    Explorer to find the NAV folder on the CD, and do the setup in that folder
    for AV only.

    Or get this one with a free subscription for one year:
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    Toolman Tim, Jun 14, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    Dominic Guest

    Free home edition of Avast:

    Has anti-virus, e-mail protection, automatic updating.

    Dominic

    Dominic, Jun 14, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    Martik Guest

    Yes, Avast is excellent! Also free support on their forums.

    Martik, Jun 14, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:23:21 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    No, but you won't get better than Kaspersky, and for
    GBP 23.95, it's worth every penny. Trial it for a month.
    http://www.kaspersky.com/personal

    °Mike°, Jun 14, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    Martik Guest

    I tried Kaspersky but it's a resource hog for the first 1-2 mins after you
    startup.

    Martik, Jun 14, 2004
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi Tim, thanks. I will try this, although it is on the Dell Utilities CD. I
    am not if it will let me access just the AV part, but I will try.
    Tempting as well. I will check this out.

    J.

    Julie P., Jun 14, 2004
  8. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Excellent. Maybe there is hope then. :)

    J.

    Julie P., Jun 14, 2004
  9. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > If you install it again, it's going to do the same things. That's
    because
    | > that is what it was written to do. It is possible to install *only* the
    | > antivirus portion of that Internet Security suite you have. It's much
    less
    | > "invasive". Insert the CD, cancel the autostarted install stuff. Use
    | Windows
    | > Explorer to find the NAV folder on the CD, and do the setup in that
    folder
    | > for AV only.
    |
    | Hi Tim, thanks. I will try this, although it is on the Dell Utilities CD.
    | am not if it will let me access just the AV part, but I will try.

    Ah...our lovely fiends at Dell...(no, that is *not* a typo <g>). Good luck.
    I think they custom-compress and file their CD's. While I actually use more
    Dell equipment at work and at home than any other brand, I do find some of
    their methods particularly stoooopid.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 14, 2004
  10. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Ok, I guess I have another option then. Will check it out.

    J.

    Julie P., Jun 14, 2004
  11. Julie P.

    D Guest

    If it came with yr pc its likely only has a three month version of update
    deffs, before you have to purchase the 12mnth update
    Personally the Anti Spam part doesn't give me any grief

    D, Jun 14, 2004
  12. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    Avast is NOT up to the standard of Norton or
    Kaspersky, not by a mile.

    °Mike°, Jun 14, 2004
  13. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    Then that's a problem with your computer; the combined
    size of the entire Kaspersky folder, and all subfolders is
    only 9 MB. The executable (GUI) is only 121 kb; the service
    module is only 521 kb; the total size of the entire library,
    including plugins, is only 4 MB.

    I run Kaspersky, and it is NOT a resource hog; that's
    Norton and McAfee's job.

    °Mike°, Jun 14, 2004
  14. Julie P.

    Andy Guest

    Why people buy Norton instead McAfee ? To save 50 cents ? Just go back and
    read how many problems people have with Norton programs and rarely with
    McAfee. I got a free McAfee 6 or 7 years ago which came with my Compaq
    computer, since than I always use McAfee programs. Why ??? Never any problem
    ..
    It integrates perfectly with my Outlook Express and IE. I browse a lot of
    porn sites which are over staffed with unlimited Trojans but my McAfee never
    gave a chance to infect my precious machine.

    Andy, Jun 14, 2004
  15. Julie P.

    Tritoneur Guest

    AVG 6.0 Basic Free Edition

    www.grisoft.com

    Tritoneur, Jun 14, 2004
  16. Julie P.

    Richard Guest

    Conclusion: Trash Norton.

    Richard, Jun 14, 2004
  17. Julie P.

    Plato Guest

    Get rid of NIS asap.

    Plato, Jun 14, 2004
  18. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Ok, my Dell CD does also come with McAfee as well as Norton, so I will try
    that. Thanks.

    Julie P., Jun 14, 2004
  19. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, I went a checked, and NIS and NAV on that Dell CD come bundled in one
    install program, so it does not appear I can separate them!

    Julie P., Jun 14, 2004
  20. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Ok, thanks. So it now seems my choices are:

    grisoft (free)
    mcafee
    eTrust EZArmor (free for one year)
    Kapersky (free for one month, but then very expensive!)
    Avast (free--but not up to Kaperky or Norton standards)
    NAV (free after rebates usually, but causes previously-mentioned problems)

    Do these companies design their own AV updates, or is there a central
    place/security force that distributes updates to them? IOW, how can these
    people who offer free AV software, if they design their own updates, compete
    with the resources of Norton or McAfee or CA?

    Julie P., Jun 14, 2004