Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vic, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. Vic

    Vic Guest

    I have a Windows XP Home with Service pack 2. Norton Antivirus 2005 that was
    install on 9-7. It ran fine until a couple of days ago I received an error
    message from Notron that said that it had an internal program error and that
    I needed to uninstall and reinstall to correct this problem. OK, so I tried
    to uninstalled using the Add / Remove Programs in the Control Panel and then
    said I needed to reboot the computer. Uninstalled seemed to work as it was
    gone from the Add / Remove programs. I tried to reinstall and the setup
    program stated that there was already a newer version of Norton AntiVirus
    installed and I would have to remove it before I could install this one.
    Well I read through the support from Symantec and bacically I ran the SymNRT
    program that there was some left over registry entries and that was what was
    causing my problem. OK, downloaded the program, ran it rebooted and then my
    Norton AntiVirus installed normally. It however did not ask for my product
    key code and it still used the renewal date of the 9-7 when I had first
    installed.

    After all that now comes my current problem. It won't run a full system scan
    in normal mode. I can run a scan in Safe mode but not in Normal mode. I
    followed the instructions at symantec for performing a clean boot and there
    is absolutly nothing else loaded at the moment and it still will not scan. I
    have tried uninstalling and reinstalling again using the Add / Remove
    programs and my CD and still got the same result. I have no trouble running
    Live Update and it is as current as I can make it. My install of Windows is
    as current as I can make it as I ran the Windows Update to make sure. The
    auto protect seems to be working fine. I just can run a full system scan. I
    have used the Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06, Spybot
    Search and Destroy 1.4 and all found a couple but nothing to write home
    about. I ran a virus check from www.sarc.com and housecall.trendmicro.com
    and both came back negative. I have always used Norton AntiVirus I have
    never had any other Antivirus programs.

    I really am at a loss since none of the relevant articles that I can find
    from symantec have helped.

    I hope you all can do better.
    Thanks in advance
    Vic

    Vic, Sep 23, 2005

  2. Vic

    SgtMinor Guest

    Did you run Norton's "Automated Support Assistant" to pinpoint the cause
    of the problem?

    "Error: "Norton AntiVirus has encountered an internal program error . .
    .. " (3003,110)":
    http://symantec.atgnow.com/consumer...+scan+with+Norton+AntiVirus.&resultType=5000#
    or
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1FE419DB

    Consider going with another AV program. Norton's has some nasty habits
    that often impact systems negatively.

    SgtMinor, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Vic

    Gandalf Guest

    I run into that about once in every 15 installs.
    It sucks, but it happens.
    What happens when you try to run it?
    Does it give an error?
    Is the Full System Scan button greyed out?
    Does it simply bail back to the desktop?

    Personally, I'd chuck NAV in favor of ClamAV. It's open source [read
    free] and catches more things, faster and better than Norton & McAfee.

    -G

    Gandalf, Sep 23, 2005