    Word bootup now takes about a minute and document retrieval is slowed as
    well while the phrase "requesting virus scan" shows in the lower left of the
    Word document window. Is there a fix for this?

    Bob Benton, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Bob Benton

    Kráftéé Guest

    Turn of the virus scanning????

    Kráftéé, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Bob Benton

    Mike T Guest

    I don't have NAV installed anymore, but look in Options and remove
    the check from Enable Office Plug-in (or something like that).

    Mike T, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Bob Benton

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Bob Benton

    Bob Benton Guest

    Thanks °Mike°. I did something like that but it didn't seem to work. What
    I have is Norton Systemworks 2003 and it took quite a bit of experimentation
    just getting to something called Configure. Any suggestions?

    Bob Benton, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Bob Benton

    Bob Benton Guest

    Mike T: I'm an Outlook Express guy, not Netscape. Couldn't find an
    equivalent in OE Options.

    Bob Benton, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Bob Benton

    Boomer Guest

    Where did he save Netscape?

    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004
  8. Bob Benton

    Boomer Guest

    ....say Netscape? Not 'save'.

    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004
  9. It was on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 19:41:19 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    Outhouse Express *&* Norton!! Jeez, *what* a combination!!!
    I used to have it when I ran Win95, & it caused *more* problems than it
    solved. I pretty soon dumped it,I can tell you.
    Just looking through the group, have you noticed how many people are using
    NAV or a Norton product, & having problems? ;-)

    William Poaster, Jan 8, 2004
  10. Bob Benton

    °Mike° Guest

    I wouldn't use it if you paid me, and I've already given you
    my suggestion -- use an alternative.

    °Mike°, Jan 8, 2004
  11. Bob Benton

    Boomer Guest

    And Outhouse. ;)

    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004
  12. Bob Benton

    Skot Guest

    Or, for that matter, how many using Windows and having problems. =P

    Skot, Jan 8, 2004
  13. Bob Benton

    olfart Guest

    I have used an old version of Norton SystemWorks for years (just the Utilities
    part without all the other crap) and it has saved my butt many times since I'm
    not too computer literate. Finds and corrects alot of errors(some caused by my
    screwups and the defrag seems better than most. Too lazy to try another
    email/news prog so can't really say how good or bad my OE5.5 really is. Hey - it
    works.

    olfart, Jan 8, 2004
  14. Bob Benton

    Boomer Guest

    You must have a better 'older' version. And you have probably used it
    wisely and have the settings set correctly.
    Heh. I love playing with new software. :)
    If it ain't broke... :)

    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004
  15. Bob Benton

    Unk Guest

    Start Norton Systemworks. Click Options, Norton AntiVirus, Miscellaneous,
    and uncheck, "Enable Office Plug-in", "OK" and exit.

    Unk, Jan 8, 2004
  16. This is going on with EVERYONE today, and it is not exactly *due* to Norton:

    http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/08/1849245.shtml?tid=126&tid=128&tid=172&tid=95

    You just have to wait it out ... but on that page, you'll find some
    rather general instructions for unplugging Norton from MS Office programs,
    until this problem (w/Verisign) is fixed.

    -- DE

    Tergiversative, Jan 8, 2004
  17. Bob Benton

    Mara Guest

    Here's something to think about.

    I have a very good friend that I used to work with. We keep in touch, almost
    every day. Last night, she called me from Illinois, from her sister's house. Her
    sister had just bought a brand new HP (w/XP) from Sam's Club the week before,
    brought it home, set it up, took it online - and was promptly infected with both
    Blaster and Welchia.

    The system was running NAV from the start. All told, I spent over two hours on
    the phone with her, because once we manually removed blaster.exe and laugh.exe
    and the other files, and did the other attendant requirements for it and
    Welchia, and rebooted several times to make _sure_ the system was in fact clean,
    she took the box back online to download the patches to secure XP - and was
    promptly reinfected with Blaster.

    We finally got it off the system for good, and I told her to uninstall NAV and
    go download and install the AV-Firewall package from eTrust. She did - and
    discovered _five_ more worms on the system. Yep. That's right. All of which
    installed themselves, or were installed, while NAV (newest version) was
    _running_ on that box.

    And that says it all.

    The system is clean, now. She says her sister thinks I'm a genius. I say it's
    more knowing what to run - and what _not_ to run.

    And what _not_ to run, would be NAV.

    Mara, Jan 8, 2004
  18. Bob Benton

    Boomer Guest

    I've read about that happening. Scary!
    Thank goodness for friends like you!
    You are.
    That too! ;)
    And XP?!! IE?! OE?!

    I feel bad for all the newbies out there that are still struggling with
    all the above. They don't have a clue. I'll bet some computer shops
    are making out like bandits fixing the above. To bad customers
    couldn't backcharge MS and Norton!

    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004
  19. It was on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:42:21 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    Yes! Shortly after that I began learning linux &, after a steep learning
    curve, I've never looked back. What a relief, no more BSODs, no viruses,
    no rebooting after an update, etc...
    The modern distros are much easier to install & use. :)

    William Poaster, Jan 8, 2004
  20. It was on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:23:30 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    Yes, that too....

    William Poaster, Jan 8, 2004