Nortel i2004 -> BCM over VPN

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Zenofex, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. Zenofex

    Zenofex Guest

    Background: We have a i2004 that connects to our vpn through a 4 port
    linux router. We are running a BCM
    v 3.6 build 2.2c.

    Problem :Hey everyone, Im having a issue where my ip phone is
    periodically not recieving a dialtone/voice on either side of the phone
    connection. The ip phone does register and can make outgoing calls but
    will sometimes have no voice or dialtone.

    link to schematic:
    http://www.thestreetwise.com/compujesus/network-schema.jpg

    My diagnosis and things ive tried:
    At first i thought that the problem was with the firewall on the
    linux router. so i started by adding adding the following lines inside
    of my firewall.user file to direct the vpn traffic:

    iptables -A forwarding_rule -o ppp0 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A forwarding_rule -i ppp0 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -t nat -A postrouting_rule -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

    Then i read that the registration of the ip phone is done through port
    udp 7000. so i added the appropriate line inside of my firewall.user
    and tried again. success the phone registered but i had no voice
    traffic. I then added a line to direct port traffic 51000:51255 (Im
    sorry im not posting the iptable commands for this as i am not verry
    good with the whole structure of linux iptables and chains.)
    .. After doing this i recieved dialtone initially but after about 10
    minutes or so i checked again and the dialtone and voice was gone. So
    then i tried to make a outgoing call and a incomming call and both
    worked, but still no voice.

    Now im stumped, i feel like ive tried soo much to get this to work and
    now need the help of someone more experienced to either help with my
    iptables or to give me some insight on what im doing wrong. THANK YOU
    EVERYONE WHO HELPS IVE BEEN STRESSING OVER THIS FOR A WHILE. THANKS!

    Zenofex, Nov 15, 2005