    newsreader? Have tried enclosing it in speechmarks and < > symbols but
    no joy

    TIA

    Paul Blarmy, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Paul Blarmy

    Flying Rat Guest

    use a redirector like TinyURL

    www.tinyurl.com

    it is a much better solution and means readers won't have wrapping
    issues with long URLs, which are a PITA for most usenet clients.

    Flying Rat, Jul 29, 2006

  3. Paul Blarmy

    Whiskers Guest

    Even better is to use a re-director that shows you the address you are
    going to be taken to, before taking you there, so that you have a chance
    to avoid going to somewhere you would prefer not to. For example
    <http://makeashorterlink.com/index.php> <http://qurl.net/> or
    <http://shorterlink.com/>.

    I also recommend posting both the long actual URL and the shrunken
    alternative, so that everyone can see where you want them to go - and so
    that the original URL is visible in the archive even after the shorter
    version has lapsed. Like this:
    <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=posting+long+url&start=0&scoring=d&ie=UT
    F-8&oe=UTF-8&> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?N20925B7D>.

    Whiskers, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Depends on the newsreader reading your post. Usually < > will work, and
    adding <URL: ... > may help as well. Let me make up a long one here:

    <URL:http://www.example.com/this/is/not/...o/click/on/it/because/it/will/go/nowhere.html>

    If using tinyurl as Rat suggested, it is also polite to post the real
    address as well, so folks have a clue where you want to take them.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 29, 2006