Non-IP broadcast Cisco Aironet 1200 problem

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Kamila, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Kamila

    Kamila Guest

    Hello,

    I'm having a problem with relaying broadcast non-IP traffic through
    the Cisco Aironet 1200 access point.

    The access point uses the default configuration. There is only SSID
    defined and no security settings. Additionally the IP address of the
    AP point has been changed.

    From the host connected to the wired port of the AP I can ping the AP
    and associated clients. From the client I can successfully ping AP and
    the host connected to the wired interface of the AP. So the ARP
    broadcast goes through.
    I'm sending different packets to the AP through its wired interface.
    Any type of the unicast packet (IP and non-IP) destined (at the
    Ethernet level) to the connected client go through the AP. I'm having
    a problem with broadcast packets. The only packets, which get to the
    client, are IP and ARP broadcasts (interesting thing is that incorrect
    ARP headers do not go through).
    So I cannot send any broadcast packets not having Ethertype set to
    0x0800 or 0x0806. My WLAN clients use some proprietary protocols to
    communicate with hosts in the wired network and some of packets are
    broadcasted.

    Additionally DHCP requests and broadcast DHCP replies do not go
    through.

    The Aironet 1200 allows defining some filters. In my case this service
    is disabled, but I could not find any information if there are some
    default filters set. Any way using http interface I cannot define the
    filter to forward all the broadcast packets - GUI does not allowed to
    add broadcast address - 0xffffffffffff with 48 bits mask.

    When I send these non-IP broadcast packets to the wired interface of
    the AP - the broadcast counters on the wired interface of the AP do
    not get incremented. If the IP broadcast packet is sent, the counter
    is incremented.

    Could anybody give me some advices?

    Thanks in advance,
    Kamila