Non ECC vs. ECC memory difference, please?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Craven Birds, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    Craven Birds, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Craven Birds

    ICee Guest

    Here is the definition from Webopedia:
    "Short for Error-Correcting-Code memory, a type of memory that includes
    special circuitry for testing and accuracy of data as it passes in and
    out of memory."

    Most home computers use standard memory, while ECC memory is used for
    commercial applications where data integrity is very critical.
    When buying memory, the only time you will see ECC mentioned is if the
    memory *is* ECC, not if it is *not* ECC. ECC memory is also more
    expensive since it has an extra memory chip and circuitry to do the
    error correction.

    ICee, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Craven Birds

    ICee Guest

    Oops, forgot about the RIMM qestion. What motherboard are you getting
    that uses RIMM? That's made by Rambus and hasn't been used in (Intel
    based) motherboards for some time. Most current motherboards use
    standard DDR DIMM modules.

    ICee, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Craven Birds

    ICee Guest

    Oops again. No, you can't use ECC memory in a motherboard that does not
    support it. Time to get some sleep...

    ICee, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Craven Birds

    Scratch Guest

    I am a little confused while building a PC for the first time. It
    says DDR 266/333/400 MHz non-ECC memory being supported by the main
    borad. When I tried to find the parts on the net, I'd easily find
    184-pin DDR DRMM, which memory is supported by the motherboard.
    However, it's hard to find 184-pin RIMM Memory with NON-ECC... Can I
    still use the DDR DRMM ECC memory?. Besides that, please teach me
    what the ECC means (and non-ECC, also, if you could)

    Thanks
    Scratch

    Scratch, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    Craven Birds, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Craven Birds

    DaveW Guest

    DaveW, Jan 12, 2004
  8. Craven Birds

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Jan 12, 2004
  9. Craven Birds

    Sano Guest

    Sano, Jan 13, 2004
  10. Craven Birds

    MikeT Guest

    I missed the start of this thread but when I paste the link in my
    browser I only see a blank black page with a small building block
    icon in the upper left hand corner. What do I need to do to enable
    viewing this page.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    MikeT, Jan 13, 2004
  11. Craven Birds

    Sano Guest

    On loading it says

    Macromedia Breeze. Which, I don't know exactly what that is, maybe a form
    of streaming Macromedia flash or whatever they call the *other*
    Macromedia, ...Shockwave Flash.

    Whatever Macromedia component, assuming you're running windows, that's
    needed, you're missing, or it's damaged on your system. [and it's embedded
    in windows, not very separate at all. Which is a big pia IMO]

    Sano, Jan 14, 2004
  12. Ooooooo!!! Nice, understandable presentation! Thank you!!

    @}-}-------Rosee, Jan 21, 2004