Nokia N70 crashing PC Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello. I just received my Nokia N70 today. Brilliant phone. The keypad
    isn't as bad (small) as I thought it was. It is okay to use. Now I
    have the phone it also doesn't seem as big as I thought it was either,
    and not much heavier than my present one.

    Anyway on to the problem. I have installed all the software, but when
    I connect the phone to the computer using the USB cable it crashes
    Windows. It goes through the motions first of all of detecting the
    device and auto-installing drivers, then it gives me a blue screen
    crash. I tried it in different USB sockets, same result. I also tried
    connecting a bluetooth dongle I bough to the USB sockets as well, but
    that also results in a blue screen crash.

    HELP!

    What steps can I go through to rectify this? I am assuming it is some
    sort of driver conflict? Is there a way to find out what is causing
    the problem? Even to disable Windows detecting these drivers
    automatically so I can locate them myself?

    I was hoping to use the software to key in my contacts from my old
    phone, or even copy and paste them over from the Samsung software. I
    don't think I can be bothered manually keying in contacts all over
    again.

    Anyone else had similar crashing problems when connecting their new
    Nokia to a computer?

    Also one or two quick questions. Can the Nokia charge itself up on the
    USB cable as well? Or do I have to just use the adapter for that?

    Generally how long does it take before the Sim card is recognised and
    my old number is ported in? It keeps coming up with the "sim card
    registration failed" message at the moment.

    Cheers

    John

    "I have Windows XP Service Pack 2".

    John, Jan 3, 2006

  2. John

    ' Guest

    Emm maybe trying to search for new software for your pc, might be a bu
    in the software, next step is contact nokia support, you have to be
    nokia club member to get free support, takes a few days to ge
    membership no and then give them a call.

    I know a good nokia forum:

    www.howardforum.com & www.allaboutsymbian.com/foru

    ', Jan 4, 2006

  3. John

    Erick Guest

    Also, see about getting a replacement cable. Most USB failures that result
    in Windows crashing are actually caused by bad cables.

    Emm maybe trying to search for new software for your pc, might be a bug
    in the software, next step is contact nokia support, you have to be a
    nokia club member to get free support, takes a few days to get

    www.howardforum.com & www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum

    Erick, Jan 4, 2006
  4. John

    Gel Guest

    Is your Nokia USB2 and your PC still USB(1); I had problems with USB2
    devices
    until I fitted a USB2 card, despite claims about backward
    compatability!!

    Gel, Jan 4, 2006
  5. John

    Simon Guest

    Initially, my N70 set up ok, then refused to connect. I have since changed
    to using Bluetooth dongle and tried again and now it works ok.

    I have not had blue screen of death but have had screen freezes. As I use a
    PDA for my office and contacts use, I do not need to connect on a daily
    basis so I am ok now the synchronisation has run once.

    I am on XP SP2 as well but what other software are you running. Its more
    likely a clash with something else installed.

    Simon

    Simon, Jan 4, 2006
  6. John

    marble Guest

    I'd uninstall all the nokia software, go to their site and download
    the latest n70 sw and try that.

    marble, Jan 5, 2006
  7. John

    wu_swordsman Guest

    In order to use nokias latest software on XP you need to have service
    pack 2 installed. A bitch but I had to do it for my previous nokia.
    Also much like my previous nokia i found PC connectivity a pain to
    setup. You literally have to go through the on screen instructions
    step-by-step. Makes sense when you think about it but try putting it
    into action. Not easy, I had to uninstall and re-install numerous times
    before i could get it right. You have to follow the onscreen
    instructions, connect cables and devices in the exact order requested.
    Make sure you reset your phone prior to initial connection via USB.
    Once 1st connection is made. It should be plain sailing after that and
    will connect everytime.

    wu_swordsman, Jan 12, 2006
  8. John

    wu_swordsman Guest

    Oh and Nokias software is not compatable with anything other than XP so
    if trying to use older OS, i wouldnt like to imagine the kinda problems
    you may run into.

    wu_swordsman, Jan 12, 2006