    joevan Guest

    I tightened the four screws holding it to the plate and it seems to
    have helped. Maybe I should get another one to be on the safe side?

    joevan, May 10, 2008

  2. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Its a foxconn and I can post a picture of the board section with it if
    that would be of help.
    I haven't been able to match the exact image on line.

    joevan, May 10, 2008

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Here is a small picture of the unit.

    http://download.yousendit.com/4D70A2D31CF584C4

    joevan, May 10, 2008
  4. joevan

    thanatoid Guest

    You call THAT "small"? 300+ KB?

    Anyway, it looks pretty standard except it /looks/ like someone
    has done a little number on the screws. You may need a small
    Vise-Grip to get them out. Names of cheap CPU fans are
    irrelevant, they're all crap made in China (get a Tawainese one
    if you can - I don't know if any are made in Japan or Korea) and
    the sizes are standard because the CPU chips are standard size.

    You have a variety of options. Search online, there are
    heatsinks which use NO fans and work great (Zalman etc.), there
    are noiseless fans, there are fans like yours which MAY just
    need CLEANING, and there are other things. Sorry I can't be more
    specific but this is really a simple matter.

    A heat sink should have very thin layer of special goo so it
    "connects" 100% with the CPU surface. Then you screw a fan (or
    whatever) on top of it.

    thanatoid, May 10, 2008
  5. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Thanks, next time I shut down I will remove the fan and check it more
    carefully. Sorry about the size. The photo starts out at 1.3 meg. I
    resized it to 1/2 and saved at 92%. I use broadband so not thinking I
    guess I still posted a needless size for this sort of helpful place.

    joevan, May 10, 2008
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    I think I know what the problem. The tiny little fan is in place with
    screws that just fit between the fins on the heat sink. I can be moved
    a bit up or down. If I have to I could use slightly larger screws,
    but I seem to have it adjusted fairly well now.

    joevan, May 10, 2008
  7. joevan

    ian field Guest

    Excellent fan failure warning device: fan fails - heatsink heats up - hot
    melt glue melts - fan hits bottom of PC case with loud clunk!

    ian field, May 10, 2008
  8. What the heck kinda way is *that* to secure a fan? Did you get this
    system at the thrift shop or something?

    Blinky the Shark, May 11, 2008
  9. joevan

    PeeCee Guest

    Joevan

    Attaching those fans to the heatsink by screwing into the interfin gap is
    quite normal.
    If they won't tighten, remove the fan altogether and squeeze the fins
    together with a pair of pliers.
    The heatsink material is aluminium and should bend quite easily.

    While you have the fan off remove the round label over the back and apply
    some drops of 20/50 motor oil to the bearing, work it in and reseal the
    label.
    (most chipset fans are of this phosphor bronze bearing type, however if it
    is a ball bearing type there will be no way to lubricate the bearing and if
    noisy the only way to fix is by replacement)

    Best
    Paul

    PeeCee, May 11, 2008
  10. joevan

    thanatoid Guest

    You're welcome.
    A little "OT" info:

    Saving JPG's at 92% is pointless. Usually anything above 90%
    will look virtually the same as the original. OTOH, you /could/
    have cropped the image a little - the fan in question took up
    less than 1/4 of the image IIRC.

    If you want to find out what the best compression/size ratio FOR
    YOU is, do some tests. I use 85% most of the time - but I have
    gotten /perfectly/ acceptable results with 65 or 70% - depending
    on content of course.

    Unfortunately, EVERY program I have seen has a completely
    different way of calculating and setting the compression
    factor/quality! That does NOT help!

    (Of course, since so many people have BB it could be considered
    a moot point, but I still use a 33.6 modem and I am reasonably
    certain MOST internet users in the world do NOT have BB, unless
    they live in Holland or something.)

    Regards
    t.

    thanatoid, May 11, 2008
  11. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Seems to have helped. I used just a tiny bit of #10 vacuum pump oil.
    Could not find any other. It seems to have helped. Thanks.

    joevan, May 11, 2008
  12. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Well as I said before, it seems to be doing all right now. I took it
    out and put a tiny bit of #10 vacuum pump oil on the back and let it
    do its thing. Rub it in a bit and that is good. I got the screws to go
    in just fine. It doesn't take much oil to do the job.
    Haven't heard a peep from that fan all afternoon.

    joevan, May 12, 2008
  13. I'll be darned. Sure *sounds* like a kludge.

    Blinky the Shark, May 12, 2008
  14. joevan

    thanatoid Guest

    As you know, blinkers, you've been in my KF for just about as
    long as anybody. Still I, occasionally get glimpses of your
    wisdom in quotes.

    While I certainly do not disagree that it is primitive (and I
    said so myself in another post), that happens to be the way
    every CPU fan *I've* ever seen is mounted to the heat sink -
    with screws just big enough to wedge themselves tightly in
    between the fins.

    Strange that such an expert as yourself would not have noticed
    that.

    thanatoid, May 12, 2008