    Any idea what might be causing it?

    TIA.

    - AW.

    Alpha_Wolf, Jan 18, 2005

  2. Alpha_Wolf

    Norm Guest

    Sounds like you could have dust on either your power supply fan or main fan
    or both.

    Open the case and vacuum inside really good.

    Norm

    Norm, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Alpha_Wolf

    Ingeborg Guest

    It's a fan. It is noisy until the oil in the bearing is warmed up.

    Ingeborg, Jan 18, 2005

  4. Dust and associated crap build up round the fans and vents?

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Jan 18, 2005
  5. Alpha_Wolf

    Dan Guest

    I had a similar problem on a Sony Vaio. Was mostly constant though. Was
    advised, from this group, to get rid of computer. While browsing
    "Applications" cd (recovery disks, that I never used) I saw a fan control
    icon. Computer has been silent, since. Good luck.

    Dan, Jan 18, 2005
  6. Alpha_Wolf

    Alpha_Wolf Guest

    If this was the case would'nt you assume it would have done so from day 1?
    week 1? And not some months later. Others, yes i will try cleaning some
    more. more than fans and vents. i thought something might be catching in the
    Big fan, but i can cross that possibility out.

    Also can any of this be linked to how much heat is produced? or is the fact
    it runs 14 - 16 hours per day enough by itself.

    cheers,

    - AW.

    Alpha_Wolf, Jan 18, 2005
  7. Alpha_Wolf

    Jerry G. Guest

    It may be a fan that is starting to fail, or the hard drive bearings are
    starting to fail.

    Open the machine, and listen to where the noise is coming from. Once you
    figure it out, then you can get the computer serviced. It is best to attend
    to this before there is a failure.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Everytime i turn on my PC it makes a lound whirring/groaning/combo of both
    sound from somewhere inside it. Until Windows has loaded and im at the login
    screen where goes back to being normally whisper quiet. How it should be.
    This hasn't always been the case, when i got it last Janurary it was whisper
    quiet from the moment power was on, and for some time after that. I don't
    know when it started happening, but it has been going on for a fair while
    also

    Jerry G., Jan 18, 2005
  8. Alpha_Wolf

    Alpha_Wolf Guest

    Yes, good idea Jerry. I have a rough idea of where it's coming from. but
    i'll do a closer examination. Last time i opened it up, it was silent on
    every test. I put it back where it goes and it made noise again. lol. go
    figure.

    Thx.

    - AW.

    Alpha_Wolf, Jan 19, 2005
  9. Are you sure it doesn't go "ping!"?

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 19, 2005
  10. Alpha_Wolf

    Alpha_Wolf Guest

    Yes. and if that was the joke i thought it was, bad joke. =P

    - AW.

    Alpha_Wolf, Jan 19, 2005
  11. Alpha_Wolf

    WormWood Guest

    Only big, useless, expensive machines go "ping!"
    (not verbatim)

    WormWood, Jan 19, 2005
  12. Blinky the Shark, Jan 19, 2005