noise reduction on digital camera purely post-processing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jos, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. jos

    jos Guest

    HI

    I have a konica minolta dimage a2 which has a 'noise reduction' function
    which activates when the shutter speed is slower that 1 second. I was
    wondering how this works: is it purely some kind of spatial filter that
    could just as well be applied in post processing, after the picture has
    been taken, or is there some active thing going on, while the picture
    is being taken, like for instance some kind of averaging.

    Reason I want to know is that I sometimes apply a trick to get low-noise
    images when photographing still objects: I take a number of identical
    images and then average them, so that the noise averages out. The question
    is should I take these images with 'noise recuction' on or off. If the
    noise recution function is just a spatial filter, it just blurs the images
    and thus it could best be turned off. If it does someting more than that,
    It could be better to turn on. Maybe I should just test both cases, but
    I was just curious about how this works.

    Jos

    jos, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Does it double the time to take a photo? If so, it is most likely dark
    frame subtraction (q.v.).

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 29, 2004

  3. jos

    bob Guest

    (jos) wrote in

    I recently took some photos of a moving subject on a lighted stage in a
    dark auditorium. The results (at 800 iso) were really noisy, but that was
    the only way I could get decent shutter speeds.

    I used the trial download of neatimage and it worked a lot better than I
    was expecting. For these particular images, it was a lot better than
    anything I could do using other techniques.

    Bob

    bob, Nov 30, 2004