    anyone that knows how those camereas compare to each other regarding to
    image noise? thinking of "real" iso values, seems like G6 is 320 at 200 and
    640 at 400....

    -T-, Dec 5, 2004

  2. -T-

    imbsysop Guest

    imbsysop, Dec 5, 2004

  3. www.dpreview.com has noise analysis and sample photos in their reviews.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong6/page14.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc8080wz/page15.asp

    Hop to the next page to see actual night photos.

    The one thing missing is temperature sensitivity. Some are very bad in
    warm climates. On a hot summer night, my old Oly 4040 would take a
    picture of pure snow at 1/4 second, ISO 400.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 5, 2004
  4. -T-

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    Using the camera's arbitrary exposure, and arbitrary ISO values.

    The real test would be with manual exposure, normalizing the exposure in
    the output.

    We need comparisons of two cameras shooting the same light at the same
    aperture and shutter speed, not two cameras set to the same "ISO
    number". The files should then be "leveled" so that the average level
    is the same, for comparing noise. Of course, this leaves a choice of
    "ISO values" to compare, but those could be done in slices in the
    graphic.

    JPS, Dec 5, 2004
  5. If you're looking for the best photo quality with low sensor
    illumination, I don't think you'd want a point'n'shoot. None of them
    are very good. They use strong software noise filtering which does
    severe damage to the details of a photo. Simply comparing noise levels
    won't work. You'll have to compare error levels to a very clean
    reference photo. Trees, grass, roof shingles, and bricks are common
    victims of noise filtering.

    The Canon 20D is probably today's champion when it comes to image
    quality with low sensor illumination. How much light hits the sensor
    depends on what lens you put on it.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 5, 2004
  6. -T-

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    I forget about those cameras sometimes. I was thinking more along the
    lines of RAW data, actually. And of course, a test that included detail
    at various levels of resolution would be even better than a grey card.

    The 20D has very low noise at high ISOs, and manages to show detail very
    well through whatever noise is there, but that may be because the
    anti-aliasing filter in the 20D is a tad too weak; I can make it do
    color moire at will, although I have never seen it in any "real"
    pictures I've taken:

    http://www.pbase.com/jps_photo/image/37173876

    This is an LCD laptop screen, from about 5 feet away with a very sharp
    90mm lens.

    JPS, Dec 6, 2004
  7. -T-

    Alfred Molon Guest

    If I'm not mistaken, the G6 uses a 7MP 1/1.8" CCD, while the 8080 uses
    an 8MP 2/3" CCD. Therefore the pixels of the 8080 are bigger, so noise
    levels should be lower.

    Alfred Molon, Dec 26, 2004