Noise about noise...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stacey, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/Santa-Cruz/2005-01-26&PG=4&PIC=19>
    > I guess I need a faster lens 'cause I'm constantly struggling to capture
    > low light images.

    Here's that image fixed. >5 minutes using neat image plugin in PS7and I'm
    real sure if I wasn't working on a recompressed, downsampled (single step
    downsampling?) already sharpened jpeg, I could make it look even better
    than this.

    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/937049/21_DSC8238.jpg

    You don't need faster lenses, although it wouldn't hurt I suppose if you can
    stand less DOF. Noise ISN'T something that can't be easily fixed and IMHO
    it's easier to fix noise than crappy color renditions or WB problems,
    motion blur etc..

    BTW the original looks underexposed which might be why it's that noisy to
    start with?

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Stacey

    SteveJ Guest

    I also see banding somewhat in the picture, not just a Canon problem.

    SteveJ, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Stacey

    paul Guest

    Stacey wrote:

    > paul wrote:
    >

    >>Stacey wrote:
    >>
    >>Here's D70 noise at ISO 1600 reduced for web and still very visible:
    >>

    > <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/Santa-Cruz/2005-01-26&PG=4&PIC=19>
    >
    >>I guess I need a faster lens 'cause I'm constantly struggling to capture
    >>low light images.

    > Here's that image fixed. >5 minutes using neat image plugin in PS7and I'm
    > real sure if I wasn't working on a recompressed, downsampled (single step
    > downsampling?) already sharpened jpeg, I could make it look even better
    > than this.
    >
    > http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/937049/21_DSC8238.jpg
    >
    > You don't need faster lenses

    Are you sure faster lenses don't give faster speed at the same f-stop?

    > although it wouldn't hurt I suppose if you can
    > stand less DOF. Noise ISN'T something that can't be easily fixed and IMHO
    > it's easier to fix noise than crappy color renditions or WB problems,
    > motion blur etc..
    >
    > BTW the original looks underexposed which might be why it's that noisy to
    > start with?

    Yes it was pretty badly underexposed and it's almost a 100% crop, not
    reduced much, and at 200mm on a 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 so struggling with a
    bad lens at that range. I posted as an extreme example of digital noise.

    paul, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    paul wrote:

    > Stacey wrote:
    >>
    >> You don't need faster lenses

    > Are you sure faster lenses don't give faster speed at the same f-stop?

    Yes VERY sure.

    >I posted as an extreme example of digital noise.

    I understand that and it was a good one to show that even EXTREAM noise can
    be tamed.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Feb 18, 2005