    elsewhere for? :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 29, 2003

  2. hugo drax

    dperez Guest

    Howard, yup, it was NCE... And I've had the same conversations with folks there
    and bought lots of things like bags and stuff 'cause I could drag a bunch of
    equipment in with me and see what fit in what... It was worth the extra cost to
    know things would fit...

    Dan, a serious question... You brought up the Digital Rebel at $1000. Do you
    know how much B & H or Best Buy or the mom and pop store actually PAY for one of
    these? I have no idea and I'm curious... If B&H bought 1000 of 'em and got
    them for $500 each where mom and pop bought 10 and had to pay $1200 each I could
    see the problem. But I find it VERY hard to believe the difference is anywhere
    near that great. Do you, or anybody in here, have real sales numbers of a
    particular camera to various retailers?

    It seems to me that knowing that would go some way toward determining the
    validity of the claims by retailers that "we can't compete with online stores,
    the unit COST us more than they're CHARGING for it."

    dperez, Dec 29, 2003

  3. hugo drax

    gr Guest

    Yeah, but it's not just 5-10%, as others have pointed out. It's more like
    20%, and sometimes much more (especially for accessories). In addition to
    that, Canadian retailers seem to be thinking our dollar is still around 63
    cents US, not the 75 cents US it has risen to. We're paying way more in
    Canada than we should. So it's way cheaper to order from the US than it is
    to buy retail in Canada. (Although, big box stores seem to be reasonable
    (10% premium or so), if they carry the camera model (which they usually
    don't).

    I'll quite gladly pay a 10% or $20 premium (whichever is higher) to buy
    local. Unfortunately, it's really hard to find a markup that low when buying
    retail. Perhaps I could haggle the price down, but that's not my style nor
    do I want the hassle. If I see a $1000 price sticker, I assume that's the
    price. If I have to haggle to get it at a reasonable cost, I'm not
    interested in buying it. Stores that haggle are gladly screwing the
    customers that don't haggle. I have no desire to deal with liars and cheats.
    If they go out of business, good!

    P.S. I drive a piece-of-shit Saturn, simply because I don't want to haggle
    and deal with sales scum. After a couple of years of Saturn ownership,
    perhaps I'd be better off to pay full MSRP on a Honda or Toyota, and accept
    the screwing!

    gr, Dec 30, 2003
  4. hugo drax

    George Kerby Guest

    Hey I can't argue from your perspective concerning VAT and Customs, etc.
    Whatever works for you! I'm just trying to keep alive local support for the
    local community, that's all. PLEASE do not compare honest mom n' pop retail
    stores to large corporate multiline auto dealerships who is either owned by
    an asshole who is feeding his profits to his privately owned pro sports team
    at the taxpayer's expense, or a situation like AutoNation that is answerable
    to no one except their friends in the DNC and other liberal groups in this
    country. Personally, I think Saturn is an excellent automobile, especially
    with the parking lot "self-healing" shopping cart feature. Good luck on
    future purchases.

    George Kerby, Dec 31, 2003
  5. hugo drax

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    I was in the market for a new tripod. I priced them on B&H, including
    shipping, then went down to my local storefront. I found the tripod I was
    looking for and a better head there. I didn't get it the first time I was
    there, I went back and priced it on B&H. B&H had the better price, but once
    shipping was figured in, the difference was minimal. For just a little more
    than what I would have paid through B&H, I had it that same day. To me, that
    was worth the little extra pricing. It would have probably cost me more if I
    wanted it shipped overnight.

    Chris Hoopes, Jan 21, 2004